cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Anayltics Dataset upload - empty string and empty value

baraspatch
8-Gravel

Anayltics Dataset upload - empty string and empty value

Hey All,

I am trying to upload data into an dataset the analytics builder. I have identified that some of my data rows don't have values. 

Is there a way to make data optional in the configuration json file, or there a blank assumption when uploading into analytics that every single row and column has data. 

If this is the case then i must completely clean the data before upload, I do not want the OpType to "INFORMATIONAL" either. 

I understand the variances that might happen when uploading missing data , but curious if there an optional parameter that can be used.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers

Paul B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:baraspatch)

Hi Paul

The best practice is to indeed prepare the data prior uploading it to Analytics Server.

This is a very  important step for all data science / machine learning tool. The end result model created is only as good as the data it trained on. If you have missing or inaccurate data, the prediction model generated will be poor.

This may represent a sizable amount of work, but well worth it as only the person you knows the data will fully understand how missing data should be repalced.

ThingWorx Analytics will attempt, in some cases, to do some transformation for missing value but this is unlikely to be as good as if you prepare the data yourself. 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS228295 list a few rules that ThingWorx Analytics Server has got to transform missing data.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Paul

The best practice is to indeed prepare the data prior uploading it to Analytics Server.

This is a very  important step for all data science / machine learning tool. The end result model created is only as good as the data it trained on. If you have missing or inaccurate data, the prediction model generated will be poor.

This may represent a sizable amount of work, but well worth it as only the person you knows the data will fully understand how missing data should be repalced.

ThingWorx Analytics will attempt, in some cases, to do some transformation for missing value but this is unlikely to be as good as if you prepare the data yourself. 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS228295 list a few rules that ThingWorx Analytics Server has got to transform missing data.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

Leigh
Community Manager

Hi @baraspatch

Just wanted to follow up to see if Christophe answered your question.  If so, please indicate Accepted Solution for the benefit of the Community.  If not, please advise on current status.

Thanks!

Leigh

Top Tags