cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Application log or script log not showing detailed errors

muzzammil
11-Garnet

Application log or script log not showing detailed errors

We are aware of using the application log or script log when error arises. But, sometimes it also happens like when you check the application log for an error, it again says to check the log, like check log for more details. We get quite confused at such points. It would be helpful if you could give any input on this.

13 REPLIES 13
wcui
14-Alexandrite
(To:muzzammil)

Hi muzzammil

Can you describe your error and supply log files for us to better understand your issue?

Usually you will see this "check log for more details." in ApplicationLog. It means you may find more details if checking other kinds of log files, such ScriptLog, ScriptErrorLog.

muzzammil
11-Garnet
(To:wcui)

I also went for checking the other logs, but couldn't really find the error's source. How can i tackle such problems in the future?

wcui
14-Alexandrite

I would like to suggest you setting a high level for realted logs, such as Trace or Debug.

Usually, the error source which is the name of target Thing/Service/Subscription, will be output in log file.

muzzammil
11-Garnet

sorry, i didn't get you. Could you elaborate?

wcui
14-Alexandrite

Please go to top menu<Monitoring->Application>, chose setting tab, change a higher level for related log files.

Then check log file to see if any thing name or service name is output into the log.

For example, a service error in my testing instance brought below error.

kepThing0208 is thing name,GetInfotablePropertyValue is service name, coding in 24 line triggerred this error.

2019-02-12 14:35:14.412+0900 [L: ERROR] [O: S.c.t.d.e.DSLProcessor] [I: kepThing0208] [U: Administrator] [S: ] [T: http-nio-9080-exec-1] [message: Execution error in service script [GetInfotablePropertyValue] :: Index: 1, Size: 0]
at GetInfotablePropertyValue:24

muzzammil
11-Garnet

do you mean to say that i should go for choosing 'ALL' for all logs?

wcui
14-Alexandrite

All is the highest level, usually Trace will be enough.

Just level up logs per your need. Ex, if you want to trace a service, level up script log. If you want to trace Websocket communication, level up conmmunicationlog. ApplicationLog should always be leveled up as it is the basic logging.

muzzammil
11-Garnet

Screenshot (5).png

Kindly look at the above screenshot and tell which log level could best be chosen for each logs

wcui
14-Alexandrite

if you want to trace service or subscription , just set Trace for ApplicationLog/ScriptLog.

muzzammil
11-Garnet

Yeah..thank you..Also..could you tell the default settings of all the logs?

This is when i get the error upon running the serviceThis is when i get the error upon running the serviceThis is when i go for checking script log for the errorThis is when i go for checking script log for the error

The issue that i'm facing is in spotting the error in my script which i couldn't get from script log. Kindly help us in resolving the issue.

wcui
14-Alexandrite

Hi Muzzammil

Sorry to reply late. Do you mind opening a case from below link so a local ThingWorx technical support enginner will contact you and supply in-time reply?

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS67798

If yes, please also attach your screen shot and ALL ThingWorx log files into the case.

ThingWorx log files are ususally placed under “C:\ThingworxStorage\logs” or ”\ThingworxStorage\logs”.

Thanks!

anarwal
12-Amethyst

Hi @muzzammil , you can also use enablestacktrace logging in logging subsystem only when you are troubleshooting.

Regards

Ankur

Top Tags