cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Best Practise - Modelling in ThingWorx

ptc-6291975
1-Newbie

Best Practise - Modelling in ThingWorx

Hi,

I wish to get some advise on the best practise of perform modelling in ThingWorx.

Here is a scenario:

1. I have a mobile STATION A to be deployed at certain SITE for certain period. The station belongs to an ORGANIZATION.

2. After certain period (said for a month), the station might be redeployed to other SITE. (It still belongs to the same ORGANIZATION).

3. The real application will have multiple STATION to be deployed at same SITE or different SITE which belong to same ORGANIZATION.

My implementation as shown in the network diagram attached.

The issue faced is:

1. I 'local bind' the GBSAR_RS_Profile1 to GBSAR_TestSite1's property's value. It doesn't bind properly and value cannot be shown.

2. But if I look at GBSAR_TestSite1 property, the value is there. 

My question is, using ThingShape, ThingTemplate, and Thing concept, what is the best practise recommended (taking this case for example)? So that when the SITE change, I just need to re-assign the Thing: STATION's SITE property by referring it to a new SITE, instead of manually update (dirty way) the site property in the STATION everytime the site property need to be changed.

Appreciate some advise or some sample modelling for this case as reference. Please let me know if the explanation is confusing...

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Network diagram Image at:

[https://imageshack.com/i/mj00fsj | https://imageshack.com/i/mj00fsj]

BTW, it doesn't seem to have the upload image feature under 'COMMUNITY FORUM'?

Hi Yew,

I think what you can leverage is the fact that there are services that can first of all add/remove Things from a Network.

So you would have an Organization network that has all the sites and then you can dynamically assign the stations to the appropriate sites.

For the value binding, again you can use script to dynamically create local or remote bindings (remote if they come from the Edge Microserver)

Not sure if you are using the Edge Microserver or not, but if you are in 4.2 you can just update the channel or in 5.0 you can update the identifier to very seamlessly switch a Station to another site.

With networks, your Stations and Sites don't even have to maintain a property that says what they are associated with, since they can just ask the questions: What network am I in, who is my parent or who is my child.

Alright. Thanks Pai!

Top Tags