cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Can't Implement Private Dashboards

jmay1
5-Regular Member

Can't Implement Private Dashboards

I am testing dashboards out for the first time. I have followed all documentation I could find on how to do so. I created two organizations with units and user groups.

There are no dashboard-instance permissions/visibility set, they are all being inherited from the dashboard functions resource and the general dashboard permissions. 

I have my dashboard embedded in a mashup.

Right now, when any of my users create a dashboard, it is automatically viewed by all users upon login.

Is this the intended functionality? I was under the impression that by default, no one saw your dashboard until you clicked on "manage sharing" and selected units to share with.

If this is not the intended functionality, anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? I follow the documentation on dashboard configuration to a T.

Not sure what else to do.

Another thing I do not like that is happening is that all users can see all organizations when they click "manage sharing" I would like them to only be able to see their own organization and units. I have the visibility permissions on each organization set to only be themselves so I'm not sure what else to do here either.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:jmay1)

Wow it’s been ages since I’ve touched this.

a User should only see their own and shared dashboards.

I know some things were changed when 8.0 was released because my 7.x dashboards broke, but I never had the time to really find out what.

I would double check user permissions and to see if they aren’t by change assigned incorrectly so that everyone shares the same organizational unit above their individual.

For example did you perhaps not remove Users from the Everyone organization? Because a User shouldn't by default be able to see all other organizations.

jmay1
5-Regular Member
(To:PaiChung)

Is that recommended? To remove "users" from Everyone organization? That would remove A TON of super granular default permissions.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

This I believe is the new default in 7.4, 8.x on?

This security is not necessary in all use cases, but provides the most secure setup.

But for proper dashboard control/sharing this is absolutely necessary.

akharma
5-Regular Member

By general dashboard permissions, do you mean the Dashboard Collection Permissions?

If you have the Everyone org in the Visibility or (potentially) the Users group in Design Time, that may be the reason.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:akharma)

So there is the Everyone organization

There are the Dashboard collection permissions

and there is the Dashboard function subsystem permissions

zhudson
7-Bedrock

Was this ever solved? Having similar issues and I'm wondering what the best route might be.

jmay1
5-Regular Member
(To:zhudson)

I could not solve this issue. I even worked with some of the developers at liveworx this year to troubleshoot and the permissions just weren't working as expected in the version I was using.

However, since upgrading to 8.3 we have found that the collections widget solves this use case more elegantly and have decided to use it instead of the dashboard.

Here is a helpful link about the collection widget in case you are not familiar:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/New-in-8-2-Collection-and-CSS-Editor/m-p/535064#M32387

Top Tags