cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Can't delete some users as Administrator

Timo697
12-Amethyst

Can't delete some users as Administrator

I was testing a service I wrote to allow users to create users using the CloneUserWithGroups() API.  When testing, I created a couple users while logged in as the Administrator.  That part worked fine.  My issue is: ThingWorx won't allow me to delete those users!!??

ThingWorx returned a Delete Failure error message saying, "Editable System Objects Cannot Be Deleted."

I've removed those users from the groups the Administrator is in, but I'm still getting the same error message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:posipova)

Alright, just looked into the details of the one I reproduced.

Because you clone an Administrator user, it writes it as a systemobject (cloning all aspects).

I exported the user entity in xml format and manually edited the 

aspect,isEditableSystemObject="false" (was set to true originally post creation)

Save the xml, import it back into the system-  now you can delete your user.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Timo697)

Hi @Timo697.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're attempting to delete?  Based on the error message you're getting, it sounds as if you are deleting system objects instead of the users you created.

Regards.

--Sharon

Timo697
12-Amethyst
(To:slangley)

Delete1.jpgDelete2.jpg

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Timo697.

Can you switch to old composer and see if you get the same behavior?

Regards.

--Sharon

Timo697
12-Amethyst

In the old composer, I'm still getting the same fail to delete message.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Timo697.

Have changes been made to the Administrator account in regard to locale?  I found an internal case regarding localization that could possibly result in this error.

Please provide details so I can attempt to recreate the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Timo697
12-Amethyst

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by locale, but the Languages field is "en".  I recreated the error just now.  And without doing anything to the Administrator fields, I couldn't delete the new user made.  Below is the coding I used to create a user.

var params = {
	password: New_Password /* STRING */,
	sourceUserName: Existing_Username /* USERNAME */,
	name: New_Username /* STRING */,
	description: undefined /* STRING */,
	tags: undefined /* TAGS */
};

// no return
Resources["EntityServices"].CloneUserWithGroups(params);

Users[New_Username].Access_Level = New_Access_Level;
Users[New_Username].emailAddress = New_Email;
Users[New_Username].firstName = New_First_Name;
Users[New_Username].lastName = New_Last_Name;

Something else to consider, I'm running this on a trial version of Thingworx 8.3 (the company I work for is going through the process of purchasing it though).

posipova
20-Turquoise

I was able to reproduce the issue. What access level did you set up  as your input? It seems like the users were created as system objects.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Alright, just looked into the details of the one I reproduced.

Because you clone an Administrator user, it writes it as a systemobject (cloning all aspects).

I exported the user entity in xml format and manually edited the 

aspect,isEditableSystemObject="false" (was set to true originally post creation)

Save the xml, import it back into the system-  now you can delete your user.

Timo697
12-Amethyst

Thanks posipova.  That worked.

I think this issue needs to be documented or corrected in the cloneuserwithgroups api.  I've read documentation that the Administrator can delete a user even if assigned to the administrator group.

posipova
20-Turquoise

This works per design. If you are cloning a user, all aspects (including the system object Boolean) will be "cloned". This is different from creating a user and assigning it to the administrator group.
Top Tags