cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Create a Subscription in a Thing Template

LuisCabello
12-Amethyst

Create a Subscription in a Thing Template

Hello Comunnity :),

I'm thinking how to manage some alerts in TWX and for this I need a subscription. If I've created a subscription in order to send one emain when a alert trigger, if I create the subcription in a thing template, this subscription is gonna be repeated in each thing? So if I have 10 things with this subscrition(any alert) I will have 10 subscription checking the conditions for send one email, for example?

So this can be inefficient, It's better to have this subscrition in a external thing?

Thank you 

Luis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Incorrect. Each subscription will run only in the context of that specific Thing. It runs anytime that Thing's event is triggered (no relationship with other Things events by default).

In short, no, an alert will send only one email.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Out 10 things only if few things having an alerts, you can create subscription at thing level.

If you create a subscription in the template, then all inherited Things from that template will run the subscription code.

If you have 10 things they will all run in parallel the subscription code because the assumption is you want that alert to be triggered based on that Thing specific conditions (meaning in that Thing context). This is one of the core ways in which ThingWorx works and it scales very well.

That also means you'll get one email per Thing. If you want to have a single email for all the Things, then there is another approach that needs to be taken, but generally speaking I have not seen this yet.

Can you share more details about what you're trying to accomplish ? Also, have you had a change to go through the ThingWorx training yet? Lots of concept like this are explained there.

Note: depending on the code you write in the subscription you might not have a very scalable experience (eg: if you have tens of things and in the subscription you query the database etc...), but I doubt this is the situation in your case.

Hello @VladimirRosuand  @Sathishkumar_C , 

Thank a lot for your reply :). Yes, I've done the formation actually the doubt it's only to confirm. I've create a draft for try to explain better. The main use case it's that I want to send any alert by email. So If the subscription is the thing template and I have 5 things, one alert it's trigger by one thing I will send 5 emails no ? because the subscrition is the same in all the things and acts like the following image.

LC_9552411_0-1662716116716.png

So maybe for this functionallity it's better to have one external thing with this subscrition because if not I will have the problem that all the subscritions

trigger...

Am I rigth?

Thank You  

Incorrect. Each subscription will run only in the context of that specific Thing. It runs anytime that Thing's event is triggered (no relationship with other Things events by default).

In short, no, an alert will send only one email.

Thank you @VladimirRosu.

So the AnyAlert  event input in the subscription is in the thing context not in the all the entities context...

Thanks a lot.

Top Tags