cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Data Export Widget Output

adiku
10-Marble

Data Export Widget Output

Hi All,

I am exporting the output of one service using the Data Export widget.  When I am exporting the output of the service, I am getting the output as .CSV file but the problem is that I am not getting the output column wise (different headers with values) rather I am getting all the output (headers with values) in one column itself.

Can anyone suggest. how can we export the output (column wise) like with different headers with their particular values .

Thanks,

Aditya Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Aditya,

In fact it's the specific issue of Excel not always opening CSV files correctly. See this post on Stack Overflow, it discusses it in great detail. Also consult with "official" Office documentation here.

To summarize, there are four things you can do to make it work:

1. Rename the file to abc.txt and open it via File > Open. Excel will ask you for delimiter, and you select comma (as described in the Office documentation);
  2. Configure your Windows' regional settings to use , as a system-wide lists delimiter (as described in that Stack Overflow post);
  3. In Excel use Data > From Text/CSV (as described in the Office documentation), this will also allow you to select delimiter;
  4. Excel-specific hack -- add this to the beginning of your CSV file and just open it:
    SEP=,​

It's up to you to choose the one which works best for you and your users.

Long story short -- ThingWorx generates correct CSV files, but Excel treats them in its own unique way.

/ Constantine

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
adiku
10-Marble
(To:adiku)

Attached the image of the output

Hello,

I guess you are using Excel to open your CSVs? Instead of opening the file by double-clicking on it, try to do it by going to Excel first, and then File > Open.

/ Constantine

Hi Constantine,

I tried first going to Excel, and then File > Open, still the problem exists.

Thanks,

Aditya

Hello Aditya,

In fact it's the specific issue of Excel not always opening CSV files correctly. See this post on Stack Overflow, it discusses it in great detail. Also consult with "official" Office documentation here.

To summarize, there are four things you can do to make it work:

1. Rename the file to abc.txt and open it via File > Open. Excel will ask you for delimiter, and you select comma (as described in the Office documentation);
  2. Configure your Windows' regional settings to use , as a system-wide lists delimiter (as described in that Stack Overflow post);
  3. In Excel use Data > From Text/CSV (as described in the Office documentation), this will also allow you to select delimiter;
  4. Excel-specific hack -- add this to the beginning of your CSV file and just open it:
    SEP=,​

It's up to you to choose the one which works best for you and your users.

Long story short -- ThingWorx generates correct CSV files, but Excel treats them in its own unique way.

/ Constantine

Hi Constantine,

Even now I am also doing the same thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards,

Aditya Kumar

Aditya,

Did you try all four options, and none works for you? That would be strange. Maybe upload an example CSV file?

/ Constantine

Hi Constantine,

Thanks for the reply.

The 3rd option is working for me.

Thanks,

Aditya 

Top Tags