cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

DataTables vs DataShapes vs Thing Properties

green.kim.twsp
1-Newbie

DataTables vs DataShapes vs Thing Properties

Hi Guys, in the Wiki under the section 3.07.6 there is a blurb on when it is best to use DataTables vs DataShapes vs Thing Properties. The second point relating to Thing Properties is somewhat confusing. It says to make it a Thing property of type DataShape as per the text below:

If it is data that will not change, or will be overwritten the next time it is changed/loaded, and it is associated with a Thing, make it a Thing property of type DataShape.  That way the access to the data is through the thing, which is logical if it is thing related data.

I don't seem to be able to do that. I can create Thing properties that are ThingTemplates or ThingShapes but not DataShapes? Can you please clarify this point.
Thanks, Kim

1 REPLY 1

Yes that might have been a little confusing. I have corrected the content:

If it is data that will not change, or will be overwritten the next time it is changed/loaded, and it is associated with a Thing, create a property of type Infotable for that thing and assign the proper DataShape.  That way the access to the data is through the thing, which is logical if it is thing related data.  

So create a property of type Infotable with the proper Datashape assigned, I hope that clarifies things.

Top Tags