cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Diff vs File repository and Source control repository

tcoufal
12-Amethyst

Diff vs File repository and Source control repository

Hi guys,

does anyone know differences between Filrerepository template (things) and SourceControlRepository.

What are the benefits to use on or the other.

Thanks.

I have read some time ago, that since TW 7.0 should be possible to map shared folders (remote ones as well) as repositories. Is that true?

Tomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tomas,

FileRepository thing it's a Folder on your ThingWorx Server where you can store files/folders for your things, RemoteFileRepository it's just the same but on a Edge device, you can move files back and forth a FileRepository and a RemoteFileRepository, and/or between RemoteFileRepository and another RemoteFileRepository, or any other combination.

SourceControlRepository it's another thing, it's about exporting your ThingWorx model objects on XML format on a HierarchyFolder structure in order to map this to a GIT/Subersion/... ( any Source Control Technology ) to keep track of Code/Model Changes.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Tomas,

FileRepository thing it's a Folder on your ThingWorx Server where you can store files/folders for your things, RemoteFileRepository it's just the same but on a Edge device, you can move files back and forth a FileRepository and a RemoteFileRepository, and/or between RemoteFileRepository and another RemoteFileRepository, or any other combination.

SourceControlRepository it's another thing, it's about exporting your ThingWorx model objects on XML format on a HierarchyFolder structure in order to map this to a GIT/Subersion/... ( any Source Control Technology ) to keep track of Code/Model Changes.

Best Regards,

tcoufal
12-Amethyst
(To:CarlesColl)

Hi Carlse,

thanks for clearing this out for me..

So I guess that on those remote location we need to place a WSEMS (configured) to use this file transfer functionality right?

Any more detailed info about how to use/work with SourceControlRepo with GIT??

Tomas

First question, yes you need WSEMS

Second question, there's a manual that I can't find right now, but what I do it's export with SourceControlRepo and copy/paste files on a GIT folder structure.

tcoufal
12-Amethyst

Export with SouceControlRepo? Do you mean export with Source Control Entities?

but you can do that by using any file repository, even the system one, right? What is the difference?

Sorry I am not so into versioniong systems, yet...

Thanks

It's the thing that manages this Export nothing more, yes the export it's done on a FileRespository

tcoufal
12-Amethyst

I've got it.

Thanks..

Tomas

Top Tags