cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Displaying data from infotable instead of hard-coded values

kahmeng96
12-Amethyst

Displaying data from infotable instead of hard-coded values

Hi all, 

I am trying to display data using an XY chart from an infotable on Thingworx. I am aware that I can just use the existing XY chart widget in Thingworx but it does not meet the requirements which I need for a task. Therefore, I have decided to use d3.js to fulfill my requirements.

Capture1.PNG

The image shown below is what I have coded using d3.js and imported to Thingworx. However, the data values are hard-coded and that is not what I want. I want the values of XAxis and ASensor to be displayed on my XY chart but I am unable to do so despite binding the infotable with my data. I have attached the relevant files for reference. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kahmeng96
12-Amethyst
(To:PEHOWE)

Hi @PEHOWE, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

• Did you have a version which displayed the graph? Apologies, I have attached another zip file for the widget which displays the graph. You will have to create an infotable with 2 values and bind them to the widget on your side using GetProperties.
  • Did this version have hard coded values? The hard coded values are in the drawChart function in the runtime.js file. (var data = [{x: 0, y: 0}, {x: 10, y: 20}, {x: 20, y: 40}, {x: 30, y: 60}, {x: 40, y: 80}];)
  • Where you able to send an info table into the function and get the data to display?  I was not able to send an infotable into the function and get data to display despite binding the infotable to the widget.
  • Was the issue with getting the grid to update after new data was added? As I cannot even get data to display without using hard-coded values, the chart cannot be updated after new data was added.

EDIT 1: I used the debugger in developer tools and found the following errors. 

Capture.PNG

It seems like the data from the infotable is passed into the drawChart function correctly but there is some error in the drawing of circle and line path. The relevant code is as shown.

// interpolator for X axis -- inner plot region
var x = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([ d3.min(data, function(d){ return d.LegReaction; }),
d3.max(data, function (d){ return d.LegReaction; }) ])
.range([0,innerWidth])
.nice();

// interpolator for Y axis -- inner plot region
var y = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([ d3.min(data, function(d){ return d.LegPenetration; }),
d3.max(data, function (d){ return d.LegPenetration; }) ])
.range([0,innerHeight])
.nice();

// plot a circle at each data location g.selectAll(".dot")
.data(data) .enter().append("circle") .attr("class", "dot") .attr("cx", function(d) { return x(d.x); } ) //should be d.LegReaction .attr("cy", function(d) { return y(d.y); } ) //should be d.LegPenetration .attr("r", 5); //the line function for path var lineFunction = d3.line() .x(function(d) {return x(d.x); }) //should be d.LegReaction .y(function(d) {return y(d.y); }) //should be d.LegPenetration .curve(d3.curveLinear); //plot line var path = g.append("path") .attr("d", lineFunction(data)) .attr("stroke", "blue") .attr("stroke-width", 2) .attr("fill", "none");

EDIT 2: I was able to figure out the error and added comments to the code above to show where I went wrong.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello @kahmeng96 ,

I have not used the d3 extension. I did take a quick look at the d3timeseries extension which you included in your post. Data is supplied to the grid from a service as an infotable. If your service is providing dynamic data then your chart will display that data. What are the input devices which are supplying data?

kahmeng96
12-Amethyst

Hi @PEHOWE,

Thanks for the reply. I have made some changes to the infotable, for it to only contain 2 values: leg penetration and spudcan reaction. The input device supplying the data is the Thingworx platform itself, where values of leg penetration and spudcan reaction are entered into the mashup composer in Thingworx as shown in the photos.

XAxisFieldXAxisField     DataField1DataField1InfotableInfotable

The issue now is that I cannot seem to get the values of this data to display on my custom XY chart widget as the code in runtime.js requires changing. I have tried coding using the code of the existing XY chart widget built in Thingworx but to no avail. I am using d3.js to draw the chart for my requirements thus I can't use the TW.ChartLibrary to display the data like what the existing XY chart does. Any advice on how to start modifying the code in my zipfile to make this work?

@kahmeng96 

The Extension you uploaded displays nothing in my test environment.

• Did you have a version which displayed the graph?
  • Did this version have hard coded values?
  • Where you able to send an info table into the function and get the data to display?
  • Was the issue with getting the grid to update after new data was added?
kahmeng96
12-Amethyst

Hi @PEHOWE, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

• Did you have a version which displayed the graph? Apologies, I have attached another zip file for the widget which displays the graph. You will have to create an infotable with 2 values and bind them to the widget on your side using GetProperties.
  • Did this version have hard coded values? The hard coded values are in the drawChart function in the runtime.js file. (var data = [{x: 0, y: 0}, {x: 10, y: 20}, {x: 20, y: 40}, {x: 30, y: 60}, {x: 40, y: 80}];)
  • Where you able to send an info table into the function and get the data to display?  I was not able to send an infotable into the function and get data to display despite binding the infotable to the widget.
  • Was the issue with getting the grid to update after new data was added? As I cannot even get data to display without using hard-coded values, the chart cannot be updated after new data was added.

EDIT 1: I used the debugger in developer tools and found the following errors. 

Capture.PNG

It seems like the data from the infotable is passed into the drawChart function correctly but there is some error in the drawing of circle and line path. The relevant code is as shown.

// interpolator for X axis -- inner plot region
var x = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([ d3.min(data, function(d){ return d.LegReaction; }),
d3.max(data, function (d){ return d.LegReaction; }) ])
.range([0,innerWidth])
.nice();

// interpolator for Y axis -- inner plot region
var y = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([ d3.min(data, function(d){ return d.LegPenetration; }),
d3.max(data, function (d){ return d.LegPenetration; }) ])
.range([0,innerHeight])
.nice();

// plot a circle at each data location g.selectAll(".dot")
.data(data) .enter().append("circle") .attr("class", "dot") .attr("cx", function(d) { return x(d.x); } ) //should be d.LegReaction .attr("cy", function(d) { return y(d.y); } ) //should be d.LegPenetration .attr("r", 5); //the line function for path var lineFunction = d3.line() .x(function(d) {return x(d.x); }) //should be d.LegReaction .y(function(d) {return y(d.y); }) //should be d.LegPenetration .curve(d3.curveLinear); //plot line var path = g.append("path") .attr("d", lineFunction(data)) .attr("stroke", "blue") .attr("stroke-width", 2) .attr("fill", "none");

EDIT 2: I was able to figure out the error and added comments to the code above to show where I went wrong.

Top Tags