cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

E-commerce / web development

enze
9-Granite

E-commerce / web development

Hello, has anyone here manage to create a web application / E-commerce website using thingworx? Am pretty new to thingworx and I know thingworx is use for as a platform for IoT development. But is it weird if I use thingworx to build a E-commerce or a web application without involving the IoT aspects? Also if it's possible, how should I categorise "Things, Things Template, Things Shape" as? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
raluca_edu
17-Peridot
(To:enze)

Hi,

For the chat widget, you need to create it, there is nothing already available in ThingWorx to do this.

For the modelling, you are on the right track by understanding the inheritance in ThingWorx. I don't know how to help you on modelling, but you can take a look here : http://ezeon.in/blog/2015/02/inheritance-advance-example-in-java-shopping-cart/ , you can start with Product template and Cart template.

Hope it helps,

Raluca Edu

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
raluca_edu
17-Peridot

Hi,

I heard of some project to manage some stores, but this involved some IOT.

From my point of view, a web page/e-commerce project can be done with Thingworx, if your resources/budget allows it.

Regarding the modelling of the project, it depends what you want to do, one idea is to start create a warehouse for products (create template for warehouse if you want to have more warehouses), you can create template for every product category, a database (Thing connecting to a database) with customers, etc.

Hope it helps,

Raluca Edu 

enze
9-Granite
(To:raluca_edu)

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply! Really appreciate it. Yes we plan to go along with building an e-commerce platform with a chatbot on Thingworx. Unfortunately we were not able to find a chat widget in the mashups. This would mean that I would need to create my own custom widget? 

For the modelling of the project, I have read from the documentations that "Thing Templates" is what we inherit from. In programming terms, we extend from this class. For "Thing Shapes", this is base on composition. I have done software development in my school days so I am not sure if I should design the e-commerce / any web app base on "Inheritance / composition" (e.g. have a class diagram on them).

After reading your answer, I am still not too sure how I should approach this modelling aspect. Should I design them as per inheritance / composition or ..?
(P.S. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, really do appreciate it) 

raluca_edu
17-Peridot

Hi,

For the chat widget, you need to create it, there is nothing already available in ThingWorx to do this.

For the modelling, you are on the right track by understanding the inheritance in ThingWorx. I don't know how to help you on modelling, but you can take a look here : http://ezeon.in/blog/2015/02/inheritance-advance-example-in-java-shopping-cart/ , you can start with Product template and Cart template.

Hope it helps,

Raluca Edu

enze
9-Granite
(To:raluca_edu)

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply once again. I will look into this and ask more questions if I have to, to help the other beginners like me to understand and design a better model!

As for the custom widget, I am referencing from the tutorial of custom widget, is there any other way to test it besides building -> importing -> test from thingworx? I saw there was a github repo that had thingworx demo widget on it. It uses webpack but I didn't know how to test the script onto the webpack development server!

Top Tags