cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

EMS: Tunneling SSH with Docker/Linux

drichter
14-Alexandrite

EMS: Tunneling SSH with Docker/Linux

Hi,

I think, me and EMS won't be friends

First my scenario:

I have a edge-device where I only can deploy docker-container (via a web-gui) and I can connect to the device via ssh. I build a dockerfile based on ubuntu which includes the EMS (with config.json etc.). If I run my container the edge-device is connected to thingworx (running in aws).

Now I want use EMS-tunneling to connect to the edge device via ssh.

Problem:

In the guide (http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_edge/index.html#page/thingworx_edge_sdks_ems%2Fws_ems%2Fv5.4.0_c_ems_wsems_configuration_tunnel.html%23) it saids you have to install UltraVNC Server on the mashine where EMS is running, but only a windows version is available. So I installed ThinVNC with Xfce-Desktop manually on the ubuntu docker instance. So on some steps of the installation you have todo some inputs - very bad for a docker deployment. After installing a try to start ThinVNC but I get a error message "vncserver: The USER environment variable is not set.".

I thing ThinVNC is not solving my problem with a VNC installation in docker (desktopless linux). Is someone else use EMS-tunneling on a linux-system and can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drichter
14-Alexandrite
(To:Constantine)

All the PTC tutorials use an VNC-Server and VNC without GUI makes no sense.

But yesterday I was able to fix all problems. First problem i had was caused by missing permissions. The user assigned to the app key has no visibility-permissions for the EdgeDeviceThing. The second problem was the isolation of the two containers. The EMS could not connect to the VNC because there are in seperate networks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
drichter
14-Alexandrite
(To:drichter)

So my current status of the project:

Two docker container run on the edge device. One runs the EMS and the other runs the VNC with XFCE.

I use a Remote Access Widget and made the most things like this tutorial https://community.ptc.com/t5/IoT-Tech-Tips/Tunneling-with-ThingWorx-and-an-Edge-Device/td-p/533263

I get the "Remote Tunnel opened"-message when I click on the Remote Access Widget. When I try to connect to the opened connection, I get an error message (ssh: "Server unexpectedyl closed network connection" / VNC: "Connection has been gracefully closed").

Hello @drichter,

Do you need GUI? In Docker?? Why don't you just use one of the SSH-server containers based on Ubuntu, like this one?

/ Constantine

drichter
14-Alexandrite
(To:Constantine)

All the PTC tutorials use an VNC-Server and VNC without GUI makes no sense.

But yesterday I was able to fix all problems. First problem i had was caused by missing permissions. The user assigned to the app key has no visibility-permissions for the EdgeDeviceThing. The second problem was the isolation of the two containers. The EMS could not connect to the VNC because there are in seperate networks.

Top Tags