cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Edit mashups when Deployed through Extension

pshashipreetham
17-Peridot

Edit mashups when Deployed through Extension

Hi,

There are projects that are deployed from one Environment to another Environment by Extension method.
1st Env ---> Entities are Exported by Extension type

2nd Env ---> Extension is imported in to the Env
Now these Entities can't be edited, is there any way we can edit the Entities, mainly Mashups... there are few bugs need to be fixed over here

is there any configuration that can be done to edit the entities that are imported by extension in this scenario ?

Thanks,
Shashi.

Shashi Preetham
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:Rocko)

7 REPLIES 7

Not sure this is a good idea. It is a best practice to mark entities in extensions as non-editable, otherwise you will have problems upgrading that extension. This is documented here.

If you MUST, I guess you could extract the extension and update the XML so the entities become editable and that pack the files again before importing.

Hi @Rocko ,

Should I remove the Old Extension and add the modified Extension or Will it get over written on the present if I import the modified Extension without deleting the older one ?

The Point is, is there a chance for me not losing any configuration that is already made in the older Extensions, Configurations like DataBaseThing Connection Username and password..

Thanks,
Shashi.

Shashi Preetham

It's difficult to tell without full insight, but I can tell that settings stored in Configuration tables will not be preserved. In this case you would have to export the table and reimport it after importing the thing/extension. For thing properties I *think* they are preserved. In your case, I would recommend to try it out with a sample extension, then you see what happens first-hand. This way you can decide what is the best option for you.

Hi @Rocko ,

This idea failed by creating more bugs, isn't there any other way, because all the customers I have been interacting having this issue.

Thanks,
Shashi.

Shashi Preetham

The original request was to be able to edit entities that are imported by extension. This can be done by editing the XML which PTC does not recommend. If your extension contains mainly mashups, the question is why you export the project as extension at all and not just the entities?

Extensions are MEANT to be non-editable so they are updateable. You use them to extend the platform capabilities, i.e. by bringing in new widgets or java libraries. I would not use them to simply copy projects in a DevOps like scenario.

Also, if there are bugs to be fixed in the target system, they should be fixed in the source system,

Please also see related articles:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/How-to-make-an-extension-editable-as-a-whole/td-p/732696

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS323766

Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:Rocko)

Also note p62 and p63 in this document about editability in extensions: https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/FFF75A096E3245C8BA1E42E1C47C04CD.pdf?sc_lang=en

Hi @Rocko ,

Long story short, some how few Mashups which should be editable are deployed as extension now they are not editable in the PROD env, that's how this whole scenario was built.

Thanks,

Shashi Preetham
Top Tags