cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Error importing an existing extension into Eclipse: cannot find metadata.xml

teovrabie
4-Participant

Error importing an existing extension into Eclipse: cannot find metadata.xml

I am attempting to import GitBackup Extension into my Eclipse IDE, however I get errors during the import process. Here is what I'm doing:

teovrabie_0-1707406343505.png

teovrabie_1-1707406373362.png

When closing this window, the project does show up in my package explorer, but I seem to be missing functionality (can't add other JAR resources). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I verified and even if I followed the steps in the repository I could not import the extension.

After some investigation, I found out that the issue was caused with some missing Eclipse files, which I added now in the repository.

Note however that you need to follow exactly the steps in the instructions there, and those steps do not refer the "Import ThingWorx Extension Project", and instead "Import / Projects from Folder or Archive".

Could you please try to re-download the repo now and follow those steps?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @teovrabie ,

Two aspects:

1. Importing a ThingWorx extension in Eclipse will never work. Extensions are meant to be imported in ThingWorx, not Eclipse. If on the other hand you want to import an Extension project, that is another thing. The project is the whole content of that Git repository, not the release. Based on your screenshot I believe you downloaded a release (which is not the project) then tried to import it.
  2. If you have any issue with that extension, you must open an issue on that GitHub project page. As I mentioned in this forum a few times, it is good to be aware that that extension is delivered as is and without any support (as it is mentioned in that project's README.md).

Hello,

Apologies for the confusion, I am indeed trying to import an extension project into Eclipse. I downloaded the entire source code of the application and attempted to import it, however the issues are the ones mentioned in my original post. As it stands right now, the ThingWorx import wizard in Eclipse only accepts zip files as shown in the screenshot.

I would like to try to expand on the functionalities of that extension. The reason why I did not raise an issue on the GitHub project page is because I am facing difficulties opening the project in Eclipse in order to work on it myself, not something actually related to what the extension does. I am not looking for support regarding the extension itself, just for help troubleshooting why I am unable to import the project in Eclipse properly.

I verified and even if I followed the steps in the repository I could not import the extension.

After some investigation, I found out that the issue was caused with some missing Eclipse files, which I added now in the repository.

Note however that you need to follow exactly the steps in the instructions there, and those steps do not refer the "Import ThingWorx Extension Project", and instead "Import / Projects from Folder or Archive".

Could you please try to re-download the repo now and follow those steps?

Top Tags