cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Error of installing Thingworx 8.2 platform

Jaye
5-Regular Member

Error of installing Thingworx 8.2 platform

Does anybody know how to fix the problem that is referred to by such message: There has been an error. A PostgresSQL database windows service is already configured on this server. The installation can not succeed until it is removed.

This error popped out every time when I try to install Thingworx 8.2 platform on my laptop. I couldn't find any relevant info on the google, neither could I find any residues of PostgresSQL on my machine.  

Can someone help me with this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jaye
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorfin)

Hi Cmorfin,

Thanks very much for your concern! The problem is now solved by clearing residual records of PostgresSQL on the system. 

Best regards,

Jaye

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
hchanana
16-Pearl
(To:Jaye)

Greetings @Jaye,

Which version of ThingWorx you are trying to install?

On which OS you are installing ThingWorx.

The OS should be compatible for installing ThingWorx. These details are provided in the System Requirement Guide.

Also check whether the postgres service exists in User services (start -> run -> services.msc) and look for the postgresql-[version] service

Thanks,

Himanshu

Jaye
5-Regular Member
(To:hchanana)

Hi Himanshu,

Thanks very much for your concern. The version is 8.2 and on Windows I am trying to install it. I checked the service list as you suggested and there is already a PostgresSQL 9.6 service. But the installation still couldn't succeed either by stopping or enabling the service. 

Thanks again!

Jaye

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

You will need to uninstall the existing PostgreSQL service.  To do so, go to control Panel and look for Programs and Features (this option may vary depending on the version of windows you're running).  Locate PostgreSQL in the list, right-click and select the uninstall option.  Follow the instructions to complete the uninstall.

I would also recommend performing a clean boot before proceeding with the installation.

Regards.

--Sharon

Jaye
5-Regular Member
(To:slangley)

Hi Sharon,

Thanks very much for your concern. The problem is the error still occurs even after I uninstalled all relevant PostgresSQL services. 

Regards,

Jaye

supandey
19-Tanzanite

@Jaye in addition to all the other comments here, have you checked the support matrix for the ThingWorx version you are trying to install. 9.6 is not a support Postgresql version with ThingWorx.

I would recommend attempting to install PostgreSQL 9.4 in drive like C:\ or D:\ (i.e. outside of the \ProgramFiles or \ProgramFiles_x86) Of course you need to ensure that all old installation's left over folders are cleared off from the system

Jaye
5-Regular Member
(To:supandey)

Hi Supandey,

Thank you for your concern. I haven't checked if it supports that. As you said I will try accordingly and see how it goes. Thank you for your recommendation!

Jaye

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

It sounds like you're installing the Dev kit.  If so, this kit contains all components needed to run ThingWorx so it is unnecessary to install components individually.  Can you please confirm?

Regards.

--Sharon

Jaye
5-Regular Member

Hi slangley,

I am not sure what Dev kit you meant. But what I am installing is an installment file titled with "ThingWorx-Service-Apps-8.2.1-00-Trial.exe". Alongside with this file there is a folder named _MACOSX, in which there is another 1kb, inexecutable "._ThingWorx-Service-Apps-8.2.1-00-Trial.exe" file.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

This is one of the trial versions available.  Please check out this link for validating prerequisites and trouble-shooting steps:  https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/guides/thingworx-foundation-installation-troubleshooting-guide

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

This guide may also be helpful:  https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/174119/en/ThingWorxTrialEditionGuide8.2.pdf

Regards.

--Sharon

Jaye
5-Regular Member

Hi Slangley,

I have solved the problem already, it appeared that the PostgresSQL register record was somehow residual on my system and after been wiped the installation was succedded.

Best regards,

Jaye

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

For the benefit of others on the community site, please mark the solution to the problem as Accepted Solution, even if that solution is the one you reported.

Thank you for your involvement in PTC Community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Jaye
5-Regular Member

Hi @slangley,

Thank you very much for the notice! I've already marked it as Accepted Solution.

Cheers,

Jaye

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Jaye

Since you have ThingWorx-Service-Apps-8.2.1-00-Trial.exe, this installer is not for ThingWorx platform, it is for the service apps.

So it depends what you want to install.

If you want service app, check the setup guide: https://tpg-twxdevzone.s3.amazonaws.com/files/media/apps/service/ThingWorxServiceAppsTrialSetupConfigGuide.pdf 

Chekc the requirements, you do need to have a KepServer running, and indeed there are some information about not installign Postgres.

See also more resources at https://developer.thingworx.com/apps/service .

If you want to install ThingWorx Platform, then you need to download other installer, follow the link mentioned by Sharon for that.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Actually links for the ThingWorx Platform trial are here: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/downloads

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Jaye.

I'm afraid I overlooked the name of the file.  Cristophe is correct--this is the Service Apps download.  This installer is all encompassing, therefore you should not have PostgreSQL or Tomcat already running on the machine unless you are upgrading, as all components are included.  Here is a link to the installation/upgrade guide: 

https://tpg-twxdevzone.s3.amazonaws.com/files/media/apps/service/ThingWorxServiceAppsTrialSetupConfigGuide.pdf

Please let us know which product you are needing so we can assist you further.

Regards.

--Sharon

Jaye
5-Regular Member

Hi Cmorfin,

Thanks very much for your concern! The problem is now solved by clearing residual records of PostgresSQL on the system. 

Best regards,

Jaye

Jaye
5-Regular Member
(To:supandey)

Hi Supandey,

I tried your method, installed the postgressql 9.4 yet the same error still occurs.

Jaye

Top Tags