cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

File Transfer Timeout

khayes1
13-Aquamarine

File Transfer Timeout

Hi,

we are seeing some transfers of larger files to remote asset stall. I notice that in the configuration of the FileTransferSubSystem there are a number of timeouts that can be configured.

I did wonder if when a timeout occurs is a file transfer event sent out, and could I subscribe to that? We have noticed that if we manually start the transfer again it picks up from where it left off.

If I can subscribe, then my questions would be:

1. what is the difference between the 2 timeouts above (can't find any documentation that explains them very well).
  2. Are file transfer events sent out when these timeouts occur? If that is the case would anyone know what that timeout event might look like, so that I could capture it and restart the transfer via a service.

We have opened a case with support to try and understand why the transfer stalls, so I'm not looking to fix that issue in this thread. Just looking to work around the issue for now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:khayes1)

Hello, Kieron.

I don't know if you've seen this article: CS226052

Per that:

FileTransfer Idle Timeout - amount of time in seconds until a file transfer times-out and is cleaned up from the system

Idle Thread Timeout - amount of time in seconds until a thread times-out and is cleaned up from the system

So one is for timing out the file transfer proper between the Edge device and the Platform., and the other is for terminating underlying idle threads; e.g. thread(s) might have been used in the past but are now idle so they can be killed.

The file transfers can be left left hanging by network or infrastructure issues. The threads are killed a bit later if still not in use.

Please note that:

FileTransfer Idle Timeout  is in seconds

Idle Thread Timeout  is in milliseconds, this one is wrongly quoted as seconds in that article. (Note: I have corrected the article.)

-- Craig A.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:khayes1)

Hello, Kieron.

I don't know if you've seen this article: CS226052

Per that:

FileTransfer Idle Timeout - amount of time in seconds until a file transfer times-out and is cleaned up from the system

Idle Thread Timeout - amount of time in seconds until a thread times-out and is cleaned up from the system

So one is for timing out the file transfer proper between the Edge device and the Platform., and the other is for terminating underlying idle threads; e.g. thread(s) might have been used in the past but are now idle so they can be killed.

The file transfers can be left left hanging by network or infrastructure issues. The threads are killed a bit later if still not in use.

Please note that:

FileTransfer Idle Timeout  is in seconds

Idle Thread Timeout  is in milliseconds, this one is wrongly quoted as seconds in that article. (Note: I have corrected the article.)

-- Craig A.

khayes1
13-Aquamarine
(To:CRArko)

Hi Craig,

sorry for the late reply, been off work for a while. Thanks for the info, very useful, I'll put it into use,

Kieron

Top Tags