cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

General Questions on Things and Service Implementation

sbt
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

General Questions on Things and Service Implementation

What services needs to written at the template level.?

What service needs to be written in the helper things.?

Is service call from one thing to another thing with in loops are costlier in terms of execution and memory utilization ?

Do we have any general documentation ??

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:sbt)

One could take the approach that even Helper Things have services that are Template based.

Templates represent either an asset, a helper, a utility, an entity type. So in accordance with that you would group your services per template which then spin into Things.

Probably one of the nice parts to have Services on a template is to be able to utilize the 'me' context vs. having to retrieve or pass that information.

However from resource usage perspective, the whole model is in memory so it is not more costly to read from other entities vs. within the context of the entity itself.

I believe ThingWorx fundamentals does cover some of the Best Practice approaches to this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

One could take the approach that even Helper Things have services that are Template based.

Templates represent either an asset, a helper, a utility, an entity type. So in accordance with that you would group your services per template which then spin into Things.

Probably one of the nice parts to have Services on a template is to be able to utilize the 'me' context vs. having to retrieve or pass that information.

However from resource usage perspective, the whole model is in memory so it is not more costly to read from other entities vs. within the context of the entity itself.

I believe ThingWorx fundamentals does cover some of the Best Practice approaches to this.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @sbt.

If you feel your question was answered, please mark the previous response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags