cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Grouping of DataItems

shivanna
1-Newbie

Grouping of DataItems

Hi Everyone, I need to create some dataItems ( say dataItem1, dataItem2, dataItem3) and group them on the dashboard. I am able to group these dataItems manually on the axeda platform but I am not finding the APIs which supports grouping of dataItems for the Artisan project. Can you please let me know the API(s) which can be used for grouping of  data Items. Any piece of code would be appreciated.

- Shivanna

9 REPLIES 9

What do you mean by grouping?  For display in the UI?  Or for some other reason?

Thanks for the response. I have a requiremtn to group  a set of dataitems belong to an aset, and disply this set of dataitems as a group in the UI.

Howdy Shivanna,

Unfortunately there is no API support for DataItemGroups at the moment.

We have this on our roadmap for the V2 APIs, but it has not yet been implemented.

If you can expand on your Use Case a bit more, perhaps we can find another way to get you what your looking for? Perhaps using Associations or something similar?

Hope this helps,

-K

Hi K,

Thnnks for the response.

My use case is as below.

1. A CSV file will be uploaded to the platform

2. Parse the uplaoded log file data with multiple rows and store to values of each row into data items (say dataitem1, dataitem2 & dataitem3)

3. Group these dataitems of each row into one group

4. Grouped dataitems (mentioend in #2) should be displayed in one row on the Axeda platform or each row of dataitems (mentioned in #2) should some how show they related to one group

-Shivanna.

Howdy Shivanna,

Are you building an Extended UI Module or something to display this data? Or and you planning on have the Platform itself change the way the DataItems are stored?

-K

HI K,

Thanks for the response. Actually the requirement is to group a set of dataItems and display that group on the Asset dashboard. If the group is clicked it should show the dataItems.

I am trying to build using Extended UI module but I doubt think I could achieve the required result as expected.

Thanks,

Shivanna

If you are getting the data items from a CSV file AND you want to display them together...  why not store the whole row in a string data item?  Then you will always know they go together and you can split the string when you display in your custom UI module.

You can still store the data into individual data items, but the string data item will give you a way to maintain the relationship.

Yes, it is crude, but the current data model is time based, so unless you can trust all the times to be the same when you are looking for a set, you have to find a way to keep the relationship.

+1 to what Randy Thompson wrote above.

And if you really need to distinctively display "groups" of Data Items then you can configure Extended UI pods, each of them populated by a Custom Object which doing the grouping of selected DIs and returning formatted string for display.

Hello All,

Thanks for your responses and suggestions..

Customer wants the grouping of dataItems to be seen on the Asset dashboard. Since there is a restriction on grouping of dataitems on the dashboard with current version of platform, I have suggested to use extended UI solution. Once again thanks for all your responses.

-Shivanna

Top Tags