cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How many value streams we need to create.

MK_10775467
5-Regular Member

How many value streams we need to create.

Consider a hypothetical example of a steel manufacturing company. The company has 50 motors and 50 sensors. So lets say my thing model has 100 things with 10 different properties. Each thing will denote a physical object. Now is there any rule or formula on how many value streams I need to create to log the data. I can create one value stream for each asset or 1 VS for 2 or more assets etc. I want to know how can I make a stable solution architecture over here. Will it be good if I own one or more database. One for the thingworx and other for storing value stream data. I want to ask below question.

1. Is there any rule or formula on knowing how much value streams we need to create.
2. Can we store data in separate database or in separate tables.
3. How will storing and querying the database for showing values in mashup will have an impact on the performance

1 REPLY 1

Hi @MK_10775467 

Please refer below links :

Storing Data in ThingWorx (ptc.com)

Determining the Correct Data Store Option (ptc.com)

Question 1 : Solved: Limits of Value Streams - PTC Community

Question 2 : Yes if you are going to perform complex logic or query large dataset I would recommend to store data in external database. 

Question 3: For larger/complex query, external database will be faster than in build tables.

If you are going to store high frequency timeseries data you can influx DB to store it - Using InfluxDB as the Persistence Provider (ptc.com)

/VR 

Top Tags