cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How much data could be stored inside streams and value streams ?

WB_9962145
6-Contributor

How much data could be stored inside streams and value streams ?

Hello,

The title says it all, is there any way to find out what is the most storage capabilities offered by Thingworx?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@WB_9962145 

Kindly check the attached article for your reference:

Size limits of streams and value streams 

Pls let me know if have any further queries.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:WB_9962145)

ThingWorx can store a LOT of data if you wanted to, especially if you are connected to InfluxDB.

The bigger challenge is to efficiently then query that data.

There are some other articles on this on this forum and support.ptc.com about that.

@WB_9962145 

Kindly check the attached article for your reference:

Size limits of streams and value streams 

Pls let me know if have any further queries.

Brief answer to the question, after TWX 8.3, you will not use up the BigInt index number for the twx tables, but you still need to worry about the hardware limit and system potential when you store all the data in 1 persistence provider.

Real case scenario, I've a client keeping a very big valuestream table, 1.6T, when they need to upgrade after TWX 9 (when timestamps will get a little change in the table), their DB upgrade take over 5 days to complete, which is never acceptable in production environment.   And when they need to query data, upgrade, migrate, DB vacuum, there will be huge costs   

Still suggest them to use external DB, second persistence provider to hold stream and valueStream (influx, or another pgsql)

Hi @WB_9962145 ,

TWX 8.4 and later, both Stream and Value Stream offers 9223372036854775807 entries. Too much, isn't it?

- Shirish 

Top Tags