cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to Configuration configure mail Sever for microsoft exchange?

Sugumar_5656
14-Alexandrite

How to Configuration configure mail Sever for microsoft exchange?

Hello All,

I like to Configure the Mail Server Thing using Some microsoft exchange Server,

So that it requires some SMTP Server and its Port.

But i dont know how to get this SMTP Details for microsoft exchange Server.

Can Anybody suggest some possible ways to do it.

Thanks & Regards

Sugumar .R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
plazarevic
5-Regular Member
(To:PaiChung)

@PaiChung wrote:

Unable to Invoke Service SendMessage on xxxxMailServerConfigThing

does this mean that the 'Thing' does not exist or the SendMessage service doesn't exist on the 'Thing'?

Hi PaiChung,

That depends--do you want to send email, receive email, or both?

First I'd suggest you make sure the network allows connections to and from Thingworx (especially sending via SMTP if your Exchange server is, say, firewalled of in a corporate network. 

\Then make sure you're using the newest version of the mail extension--that is 3.6.0.

If you want to send--you use SMTP as the protocol and put in the IP and port of your server. 

If you want to receive, you must choose either IMAP or POP as the protocol (but not both at the same time) and the correct IP address and port.

I would make sure the Connection TImeout and Read Timeout are not to low (something like 10,000ms)--but that depends on your security settings and network.

If you use an encrypted connection (TLS or SSL), check the appropriate box. Enter a valid email address as the mail account user (the send or receiver) and your password. Fill out all the fields in the service--if sending, the recipient, a subject, and body. 

If the MailThing weren't created correctly, you wouldn't get this far (after you import the extension you create a MailThing that extends the MailServer ThingTemplate).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Sugumar_5656)

Usually your IT would have that information, as well as you can google probably to find the general default ones.

Sugumar_5656
14-Alexandrite

Hi Chung,

I used 192.168.103.5 as SMTP Server and 25 as SMTP Port.

When i tried to execute sendmessage service, It through error like

"Unable to Invoke Service SendMessage on xxxxMailServerConfigThing : Unable to send error email for logged incident".

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

does this mean that the 'Thing' does not exist or the SendMessage service doesn't exist on the 'Thing'?

plazarevic
5-Regular Member

@PaiChung wrote:

Hi PaiChung,

That depends--do you want to send email, receive email, or both?

First I'd suggest you make sure the network allows connections to and from Thingworx (especially sending via SMTP if your Exchange server is, say, firewalled of in a corporate network. 

\Then make sure you're using the newest version of the mail extension--that is 3.6.0.

If you want to send--you use SMTP as the protocol and put in the IP and port of your server. 

If you want to receive, you must choose either IMAP or POP as the protocol (but not both at the same time) and the correct IP address and port.

I would make sure the Connection TImeout and Read Timeout are not to low (something like 10,000ms)--but that depends on your security settings and network.

If you use an encrypted connection (TLS or SSL), check the appropriate box. Enter a valid email address as the mail account user (the send or receiver) and your password. Fill out all the fields in the service--if sending, the recipient, a subject, and body. 

If the MailThing weren't created correctly, you wouldn't get this far (after you import the extension you create a MailThing that extends the MailServer ThingTemplate).

plazarevic
5-Regular Member

@Sugumar_5656 wrote:

Hello All,

I like to Configure the Mail Server Thing using Some microsoft exchange Server,

So that it requires some SMTP Server and its Port.

But i dont know how to get this SMTP Details for microsoft exchange Server.

Can Anybody suggest some possible ways to do it.

Thanks & Regards

Sugumar .R

Hi Sugumar,

The first thing I'd do is update to the newest extension--version 3.6.0. It fixed a lot of issues.

Failing that, in my limited experience, the Exchange server is usually inside a corporate network, and the port might be closed if Thingworx is outside. Make sure Thingworx and your Exchange server can communicate--work with your network team if needed.

I read your second post which I had accidentally missed--something else is likely wrong. That error usually appears after something has gone wrong with the attempted send. That is, you've likely connected, authenticated to the server, and attempted to send--but something goes wrong. Double check the address (no offense intended) to make sure it's correct. After that, the problems become larger failures or misconfigurations that are harder to setup. Is this a non-production Exchange server that doesn't have the correct SPF or DKIM setup? 

Sugumar_5656
14-Alexandrite
(To:plazarevic)

Thank You plazarevic and Pie.

Got the Solution ..

I changed the Security settings for my server.

Top Tags