cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to have multiple instances of same shape in a particular thing

amittal-3
13-Aquamarine

How to have multiple instances of same shape in a particular thing

Hello,

I am new to Thingworx and am trying to get some 'hands-on' on this platform. I am trying to better understand the concept of things, things shape and thing template. I am trying to map my current understanding on these topics by a typical use case, and would like to understand how would this solution be feasable.

USE CASE - I have a particular type of machine, say MAC_X. And I have many such machines in my plant. This type of machine has a 6 movable axis each axis controlled by a motor, and machine also has a pressure and temperature meter.

Mapping to Thingworx -

Number of MAC_X machines - Individual things

MAC_X - Thing template

Motor, temperature sensor, pressure sensor - Individual Thing shapes

Now my question is how can I have multiple motors in my machine, i.e six instances of same thing shape??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Some options:

• Map each Motor as a Thing ( you can use Networks to say which Motors belongs to which MAC_X Machines )
  • Motor Thing Shape has a property called motors ( which it's an infotable with a row for each motor)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Some options:

• Map each Motor as a Thing ( you can use Networks to say which Motors belongs to which MAC_X Machines )
  • Motor Thing Shape has a property called motors ( which it's an infotable with a row for each motor)
amittal-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:CarlesColl)

Hello Carles,

Thanks for your reply.

Option of making a network, was one solution I considered myself also, but I didn't proceed on because, to access the network elements we have to use scripts only, and at this point I didn't wanted to get into that complexity. So can you suggest some good resource to understand all the services associated with a network, to get children, and subsequently their properties.

There is yet another part about which I would like to have some information, which is THINGNAME property available inside thing. So how does that property work? Will using a Thingname (Motor things) inside Machine things, solve my issue? Because, I have created 3 Motor Things and I am able to add all three of them by using thingname property of thing. But after having these three motor things, I am not able to use them further.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

To know which services belongs to a Network, you just need to use the Scripts and select the given network, then you will get a bunch of available services (like GetSubnetworkConnections, GetNetworkConnections...)

THINGNAME base type, it's a reference to another thing, that's it. You can set properties as THINGNAME and point to other THINGS:

me.myMotor1

me.myMotor2

me.myMotor3

me.myMotor4

myMotorN it's a property of baseType THINGNAME which points to the corresponding motor thing.

That's a solution also ( but of course you will be limited on the number of motors)

Top Tags