cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to optimize a recursive service

aiGreek
7-Bedrock

How to optimize a recursive service

Greetings.

I'm trying to build a service to call the BrowseGroups service from the root of a channel and then recursively call it on all of its subgroups (if they're not a System group) until they've all been visited and then return them in an InfoTable.

So, for example, I'd call the service on "HiProfile_LBR" and it would then call itself on "HiProfile_LBR.HiProfile" and so on... 

aiGreek_0-1615202148815.png

(I collapsed the groups, but the channel in the example has more levels than what's shown in the image.)

This is the code I've written at the moment:

var query = {
  "filters": {
      "type": "EQ",
      "fieldName": "IsSystemGroup",
      "value": "true"
  }
};
var tempTable, unionParams, groupTable;

var newField = new Object();
newField.name = 'Color';
newField.baseType = 'STRING';

groupTable =  Things[indConnector].BrowseGroups({
	filter: undefined /* STRING */,
	path: path /* STRING */
});
groupTable.AddField(newField);

//-------------------------------------------------------

groupTable = Resources["InfoTableFunctions"].DeleteQuery({
	t: groupTable /* INFOTABLE */,
	query: query /* QUERY */
});

recBrowse(indConnector, groupTable);

function recBrowse(indConnector, groupTable){

/*let debugJSON;*/
	let tableLength = groupTable.rows.length;
	for (let x=0; x < tableLength; x++) {
	    let row = groupTable.rows[x];
	    if(row.Color != "Black"){
	    	row.Color = "Black";
            if(row.HasNonSystemSubGroups){
               	tempTable = Things[indConnector].BrowseGroups({
					filter: undefined /* STRING */,
					path: row.FullPath /* STRING */
				});
                tempTable.AddField(newField);

unionParams = {
					t1: groupTable // INFOTABLE,
					t2: tempTable // INFOTABLE                  
              	};
	        	tempTable = Resources["InfoTableFunctions"].Union(unionParams);   

recBrowse(indConnector, tempTable);
            }
	    }
	}
}

var result = tempTable;

The service unfortunately times out for complex trees (such as the one in the image above) and I have no idea on how to solve this issue. Besides increasing the service time out (to a value at the moment I don't know), how can I solve the issue? How would you optimize my code?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @slangley,

I've actually been able to find a work around for the issue. Since the service is meant to run from a mashup, I've changed the code so that the service is restarted via a validator rather than from the code itself. So it shouldn't time out as it restarts through a new "instance".

I don't think a ticket is needed for this case, but thanks anyway.

Regards.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:aiGreek)

Hi @aiGreek.

Have you checked the logs located in \ThingworxStorage\logs for possible errors?  If it is actually timing out, how much data are you trying to process?

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley,

I can't check the log files as the platform is hosted on the PTC Cloud. I did check the ScriptLog from the Monitoring interface and I can confirm it's timing out, as I get this message: Execution of Script terminated after : 42 seconds. Timeout configured for 30 seconds.

The data I'm trying to process at the moment is this channel/device tree on a Kepware (note that PLM2/3/4 and Controller_H2/3/4 have the same underlying structure as PLM1/Controller_H1): 

aiGreek_0-1615797718810.png

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @aiGreek.

Since this is a hosted implementation and you don't have access to the logs, it's best to open a case.  We can then engage with the Cloud team for requesting them and any other troubleshooting that may be needed.

Please let me know if you would like me to open a case on your behalf.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley,

I've actually been able to find a work around for the issue. Since the service is meant to run from a mashup, I've changed the code so that the service is restarted via a validator rather than from the code itself. So it shouldn't time out as it restarts through a new "instance".

I don't think a ticket is needed for this case, but thanks anyway.

Regards.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:aiGreek)

Hi @aiGreek.

Glad you found a workaround.  If you're running Manufacturing Apps, there is a recommendation to increase the timeout setting.  If you are interested, I can have the Cloud team check this setting.  You will need to provide the url of the instance (under private message).

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley,

thanks for the suggestion. Does that reccomendation also apply to TWx 8.5 which is what we're running?

I'll have a talk with my team and if it's needed I'll open the request to increase the timeout on the esupport platform. Thanks anyway.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @aiGreek.

Yes, that setting also applies to 8.5.  Here is a link to the installation instructions with that information (step 3 under "Update the Script Timeout Setting").

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @aiGreek.

If you're satisfied with the workaround you found, please mark your post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others in the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags