cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Image Format supported by Image Widget - Is TIFF supported?

ptc-6291975
1-Newbie

Image Format supported by Image Widget - Is TIFF supported?

Hi,

I wish to know what are the image format supported by ThingWorx's Image widget? e.g. jpeg, gif ...

I tried to upload TIFF image to ThingWorx media entity and it shows a image broken link icon. And when I use that media entity/image in the Image widget, it doesn't show at all.

Is TIFF format supported? If not is there anyway for us to load and display it properly in ThingWorx mashup?

Please kindly advise. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6291975)

Hi Yew,

ThingWorx supports the majority of image formats commonly supported by modern web browsers. These formats include BMP, GIF, JPEG and PNG. In the case of TIFF, ThingWorx's support is dependent on the client's browser supporting it. In my testing, it appears the only web browser that supports TIFF is Safari. Using Safari, I was able to upload a TIFF image as a Media Entity and view it in a Mashup. Similarly, I was able to upload a TIFF image to a File Repository and view it in a Mashup.

What is your reason for using TIFF as opposed to a more widely supported image format like PNG?

Thanks,

Adam

adam11
5-Regular Member

Yew,

It appears Internet Explorer 11 supports TIFF, but the TIFF only renders at runtime when accessed from a File Repository.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the information. TIFF format is specifically requested by potential customer as the image captured from machine needs to be in raw format and uncompressed (so no lost of information due to compression) as it will be used for detailed analysis for example radar imaging picture for building structure, landslide monitoring etc.

As Safari is not a common browser here (Mac OS penetration is lesser), any possible workaround in this case if we have to show the image in mashup (say for Firefox and Chrome)?

Thanks in advance.

adam11
5-Regular Member

With Chrome and Firefox not supporting TIFF, the only possible workaround would be through the installation of a browser plugin like http://www.alternatiff.com/.

OK. Seems that's the best thing I could do for now... Thanks for your advise! :-)

Top Tags