cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Infotable: "read only" only for some rows

fmanniti
9-Granite

Infotable: "read only" only for some rows

I have a thing which has a infotable property that the user may be able to edit adding or deleting rows.

But I want some of the rows to be "read only" and not to be deleted.

In my service I'm just using a "if" condition but I am curious to know if there is another way to do it.

6 REPLIES 6
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:fmanniti)

What is the use case?

Depending on the use case, it might be better to work with a DataTable vs. an infotable, because you will be able to use primary keys/indexes

I see. Honestly I wasn't thinking about Datatable.

That's my situation:

I want the user to be able to create a thing which indicates a structure.

The structure has a property called "TypeOfStructure" which is a list of choices; the user must be able to update this list; for this reason I was thinking about making a helper thing called TypeOfStructureThing which has a infotable property with two columns: Type (which is the type shown on the mashup) and Id.

I don't know if Data table is a better choice, but I'm quite open to advice

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:fmanniti)

What Charles mentions is correct in the sense that you will still have to use an 'if' statement to evaluate what a user can or can not edit.

But since this is a set of data that is used over and over again, I think it is better to permanently store it in a data table to serve as your 'template'

probably add a column isEditable to the fields in the datatable and go from there.

Ok, so to your opinion using a Data table is better than a infotable for my purpose.

I will consider this option; thank you very much

Hi Pai,

But the limitations will be the same on a DataTable.

Fabio, the only way to prevent this it's to wrap any Property/DataTable changes on a service made by you, there you can control editable/no editable rows.

There isn't build in row security.

Best Regards,

Carles.

Yes, it is what I'm doing.

I just hoped there was a different way because in this way I make a third column called "Editable" and then I put a "if" condition in my service.

It's not a big deal, was just a question to learn something new

Top Tags