cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Inherit "JDBC Settings" via "Configuration Table" from Thing Template to its Things

DivyaMalika
11-Garnet

Inherit "JDBC Settings" via "Configuration Table" from Thing Template to its Things

Here is my requirement:

I have a "Thing Template" which establishes connection to an external database (JDBC - MSSQL). Now, I want to import all the entities from Development Environment to Testing & Production Environments. I want to update/set the "Configuration Table - ConnectionInfo" with new JDBC settings of new Environments. 

In the above scenario, once I change the settings on "Thing Template" can all the "Things" imported inherit the new settings? These "Things" have many services developed by different developers. I just want the JDBC settings to be updated from its Thing Template.

Instead of changing and tracking "Things", am trying to change it, at one place (Thing Template). Any ideas or suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In my case, developers of different modules have different JDBC Settings (local environments) to test their scripts and services. In order to achieve this, I provided a thing template (database inherited) for individual module developers and wrote a service to set the configuration table, by using "Get Implementing Things" of the Thing Template I provided. This way, I need not to track the list of things from developers and also invoking the above service in the form of API at the end of deployment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @ DivyaMalika ,

The Thing will inherit the settings from the ThingTemplate. If you change the settings for the JDBC connection from the ThingTemplate and then create Things that will reuse the ThingTempate, the Things will use the updated configurations from the ThingTemplate.

Hi Ciprian-Traian,

Thanks for your reply. But in my requirement, "Things" are being imported from one environment to another environment. I cannot freshly create those things.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:DivyaMalika)

Hi @DivyaMalika.

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.  If you have found your own solution, it would be helpful for the community if you posted it and marked that response as the Accepted Solution.

Thank you for your participation in our community!

Regards.

--Sharon

Hello @DivyaMalika ,

After changing the settings in the ThingTemplate, the changes will be propagated in the Things. When importing all the entities (including the Things) with the new JDBC settings you want to import as well the ThingTemplate you have used to create the Things in the first place.

In my case, developers of different modules have different JDBC Settings (local environments) to test their scripts and services. In order to achieve this, I provided a thing template (database inherited) for individual module developers and wrote a service to set the configuration table, by using "Get Implementing Things" of the Thing Template I provided. This way, I need not to track the list of things from developers and also invoking the above service in the form of API at the end of deployment.

Top Tags