cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Is there a way to blacklist a remote device?

khayes1
13-Aquamarine

Is there a way to blacklist a remote device?

Hi,

is there a way to blacklist a remote device from connecting to the server using the remote thing name/identifier.

Currently we have some old remote devices out in the world using the same identifier to connect.

• If I create a server side thing for them to bind to I get lots of errors referring to multiple endpoints.
  • If I delete the server side thing I get errors because of failed binding requests.

Unfortunately we aren't able to physically find these remote things to upgrade the edge servers (or disconnect them). Really just looking for a way to stop the Application log collecting these errors.

Thanks in advance

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:khayes1)

You can whitelist not blacklist unless that has been updated in recent versions.

I would say that ability to blacklist is a great suggestion though.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Too late to do unique appkeys?

appkeys do have white listing capability as well.

perhaps that can help at least to weed out the old devices.

khayes1
13-Aquamarine
(To:PaiChung)

Hi,

think this might have legs. Are you saying that you can blacklist certain appkeys?

K

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

You can whitelist not blacklist unless that has been updated in recent versions.

I would say that ability to blacklist is a great suggestion though.

khayes1
13-Aquamarine
(To:PaiChung)

Thanks for the replies. The remote devices of concern are all using the same particular appKey, which is different from all other devices.

Would you know, if I delete that appKey will that produce errors as well, or will it just refuse to connect?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

It will just refuse connection if you delete the appkey

Hello @khayes1,

It should still produce an error, something along the lines of "Invalid AppKey", however you might be able to hide it by disabling this specific logger in $TWX_PLATFORM/logback.xml. I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work.

Regards,
Constantine

khayes1
13-Aquamarine
(To:Constantine)

Hi,

thanks, you were right about it still producing errors 'Missing AppKey'. Looked for the file 'logback.xml' that you referred to, but was unable to find it?

K

Hello @khayes1,

Try to create it with this content:

<configuration>
	<logger name="com.thingworx.communications.platform.modules.DispatchingServerCommunicationModule" level="OFF"/>
</configuration>

This should switch off this logger, which means that you won't see pretty much any error messages related to invalid login, binding errors, etc. Even if it works, this is clearly a bad practice, so please use it carefully and only as a temporary solution.

If you really have to use it, then I would suggest that instead of turning the logger off, you can try using another appender for it, e.g. write those error messages to a separate log file. You can find more details by searching for "logback configuration", for example here: http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html

/ Constantine

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @khayes1.

If one of the previous responses answered your question, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags