cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Java SDK Logging

alexe1
1-Newbie

Java SDK Logging

Is there any type of example explaining how to write to the ThingWorx log from a remote device using the Java SDK?

I've found some amount on writing to the TW log from an extension, which is somewhat similar, but there appears to be some differences and some libraries the Java SDK does not use.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:alexe1)

Alex,

I really don't think there is a built in way to log to the platform from a Java SDK, but there are some workarounds I can think of.

The best one that comes to mind is the following:

If you go to [server-address]/Thingworx/logs ​and then click on one of the available logs you can see that they have ServiceDefinitions. The service you will find most valuable is this scenario is the ​Write​ service. By making a REST call from the Java SDK to the Write service for the log of your choosing, you can log a new message whenever you need to.

Hope that helps.

Meghan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ttielebein
12-Amethyst

mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:ttielebein)

This is regarding logging in extensions, not the Java SDK.

mhollenbach
5-Regular Member

Alex,

I really don't think there is a built in way to log to the platform from a Java SDK, but there are some workarounds I can think of.

The best one that comes to mind is the following:

If you go to [server-address]/Thingworx/logs ​and then click on one of the available logs you can see that they have ServiceDefinitions. The service you will find most valuable is this scenario is the ​Write​ service. By making a REST call from the Java SDK to the Write service for the log of your choosing, you can log a new message whenever you need to.

Hope that helps.

Meghan

Top Tags