cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mail Thing won't send emails saying "Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp"

mkoumplis
3-Visitor

Mail Thing won't send emails saying "Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp"

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project built on ThingWorx 8.2.1-b140. On this version, I tried using the Mail Extension (both versions 3.3.1 and 3.5.1 without success) to create a Mail Thing and use it to send emails to customers. Upon trying to use the SendMessage service to test the thing, the service fails with "Unable to Invoke Service SendMessage on MariosMailServer_Thing : Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp".

The mail thing is configured to use a company mail SMTP server (Amazon SES server), exactly the same way we've done before on other Thingworx instances and projects (8.0.x and 7.x.x). But this is the only case where the very same configuration in terms of mail server thing fails with the above error. Our 8.2.1 Thingworx instance is sitting on an AWS server and we've already tried creating rules to allow traffic to the mail server on port 465.

Can anyone think why this wouldn't work with this version of Thingworx? Many thanks in advance.

Marios

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just a quick heads-up, my issue was somehow mysteriously solved after I restarted the TWX server... I don't really know why installing the mail server extension and refreshing the Composer afterwards wouldn't have been enough for the mail functionality to work but a server reboot sorted it out anyway. Again, thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mnarang
17-Peridot
(To:mkoumplis)

Can you check how many Jar's are there when you imported the extension ? You can check this by import/export->manage extension -> click on the mail extension and see in below panel .As you are stating that same configuration was working and you even have a rule for the port 445 .

Hi mnarang and thanks for the reply,

I have the following JARs bundled into the extension package (3.5.1)

thingworx-mail-extension.jar

mailapi.jar

dsn.jar

smtp.jar

pop3.jar

imap.jar

gimap.jar

commons-exec-1.3.jar

Just a quick heads-up, my issue was somehow mysteriously solved after I restarted the TWX server... I don't really know why installing the mail server extension and refreshing the Composer afterwards wouldn't have been enough for the mail functionality to work but a server reboot sorted it out anyway. Again, thanks for the help.

Top Tags