cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Migrating from InfluxDB to PostgreSQL

sabharees
13-Aquamarine

Migrating from InfluxDB to PostgreSQL

I have a list of streams (InfluxDB as persistence provider) with data in it, and I would like to migrate to Postgres (the default persistence provider)

Now, how can I proceed further? Does Thingworx provide any migration tools?
If I use the export data option, which is not working,

11 REPLIES 11
Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:sabharees)

If there is an official tool, PTC support will know and be able to provide the link. most probably, this will be a manual effort, but you should create a ticket with support.

I suggest as @Rocko below opening a support ticket, because the Export Data option should be the thing to use here.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is not working?

If I export the data from streams using the Export Data option, and then change the persistence provider to Thingworx PP from Influx PP, 
I get a successfully imported data message in the application log but am not able to see any data in the stream.

I saw the fact you specified "successfully imported" but I did not see that you imported - is that a typo?.

Specifically the steps should be:

1. Export data from Stream using Export Data

2. Change the Stream's PP (Restart the Stream after changing the PP)

3. Import back the data

I followed the steps, but the issue persists. I can see only one row(total rows - 15k approx) imported after receiving an import successful message in the application logs.

sabharees_0-1701086063147.png

1. How did you try to export data? Stream by stream, or for all Streams?

2. How long does it take to export data for a single Stream? InfluxDB PP has a read timeout that is closing a connection to it in case it waits to retrieve data for more than that period. It's the Read timeout, set by default at 10 seconds.

3. How large is the data export file for a Stream you know it should have 15k rows?

I tested the functionality with one stream and increased the read and write timeout to 30 seconds.

Backups show a file size of 453 bytes for the data-0.twx file.

sabharees_0-1701086759895.png

Increase them to more than 30 seconds (60-120 etc, step by step). The data-0.twx is definitely small for 15k rows.

I increased the timeout to 300 seconds, but still, the issue persists even for the stream having 550 rows.

If you look in the Influx logs and ThingWorx Application Log, isn't there any error?

What version of Influx are you using?

I use influx OSS 2.7 in my EC2 instance. 
Also, I can see some errors regarding stream queues.

sabharees_0-1701089041138.png

Announcements

Top Tags