cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Need information about twx_named_user feature. It showing as false.

vgarg
6-Contributor

Need information about twx_named_user feature. It showing as false.

Hi,

I have installed Thingworx 8.3 on Ubuntu platform. The license is installed successfully. 

The license file was able to rename as "successfull_license_capability_response.bin".

After running the "GetCurrentLicenseInfo" service from the LicensingSubsystem, twx_name_user 

is showing as false. I need some information about the feature. What could be the impact of this feature

if it does not appear as true?

I have attached the screenshots of the output of below services:

GetCurrentLicenseInfo

GetLicenseState

Please help on this.

15 REPLIES 15
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:vgarg)

What happens if you run "acquire license" service in the licensing subsystem?

vgarg
6-Contributor
(To:posipova)

After running the acquire license service it gives the below message:

Unable to acquire license.  Please see log for errors.

I have attached screenshot of the service also.

PFA

Please find the application logs also:

2018-10-05 10:46:26.179+0530 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: Administrator] [S: ] [T: https-jsse-nio-443-exec-4] Failed downloading license_capability_response.bin from FNO server. This will be expected if the ThingWorx Platform is running in disconnected mode.
2018-10-05 10:46:26.179+0530 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: Administrator] [S: ] [T: https-jsse-nio-443-exec-4] No license changes, because neither license.bin or license_capability_response.bin could be found
2018-10-05 10:46:26.789+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.w.BaseService] [I: ] [U: Administrator] [S: ] [T: https-jsse-nio-443-exec-4] [context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@542514c6][message: Unable to acquire license. Please see log for errors]
2018-10-05 10:46:52.234+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.w.BaseService] [I: ] [U: Administrator] [S: ] [T: https-jsse-nio-443-exec-1] [context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@18d029ca][message: Unable to Invoke Service QueryLogEntries on ApplicationLog : Java heap space]

posipova
20-Turquoise

Go in the Composer -> System -> Subsystems -> LicensingSubsystem -> Services.

Find the service called “GetInstanceID” and execute it (by clicking “Test"). Copy the result. 

Follow this guide to obtain the license file:

https://support.ptc.com/lm/ThingWorx_Navigate_8.1_Licensing_Instructions.pdf

vgarg
6-Contributor

Hi,

The license file I have generated by instance id only. As the instance id we can get from the "licenseRequestFile.txt" i.e. generated in the ThingworxPlatform folder also. For generating the license file I had followed the same method as written in the guide. After generating the license file,

I have renamed it as license_capability_response.bin which was able to rename as successful_license_capability_response.bin itself after restarting the tomcat. I have checked that the instance id given by "GetInstanceID" service and by "licenseRequestFile.txt" is same.

After doing some research I found below link on twx_name_user:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271950&language=en&posno=1&q=twx_named_user&source=search

Here it is mentioned that:

• If the twx_named_user feature is missing, you may have to map additional Activation IDs to your device (typically "ThingWorx User" item) - see Changes to Licensing in ThingWorx 8.1 - Which Activation ID(s) to pick ?

But this is given for Thingworx 8.1, its not confirm if it works with 8.3 as well.

posipova
20-Turquoise

I just confirmed that should work on 8.3 as well.

vgarg
6-Contributor

Hi posipova,

Thanks for helping on the issue. As the link which i shared previously does not give the enough information about twx_named_feature so some information about twx_named_user feature still will be helpful. The only thing they have mentioned that there could be issue in importing the entities and extensions without this feature.

posipova
20-Turquoise

I apologize for the delayed response. With the issue happening when you manually generate the license file, I would contact your sales representative or TSAM to have the licensing team check into this for you. Thank you for your patience!

vgarg
6-Contributor

Thanks for your response ! :) If you need any information regarding that please let me know.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vgarg.

Have you resolved your licensing issue?  If so, please post the solution here and mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

vgarg
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

I did not get the proper solution of it but I found a solution which I have updated above already. 

I just want the information about this feature. As soon as i got it i will update here.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vgarg.

Here is more information:

ThingWorx Licensing uses license features to describe/define entitlements i.e. users, things, access to features etc.  Various combinations of these license features, i.e., entitlements, are then associated with specific products.  More information regarding entitlements and definitions of those entitlement limits can be found in the PTC License Basis Table.

vgarg
6-Contributor

Previously I found some solution for it that I have updated above but the solution could not be applied due to some license issue. Currently I am just looking only for the information about this feature.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vgarg.

I have reached out to others in the PTC organization to get a better understanding of this feature.  However, one of the things it is used for is to monitor the number of users created in ThingWorx per the entitlements that were purchased.

Regards.

--Sharon

vgarg
6-Contributor

Thanks for the update ! :) 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vgarg.

Apologies for the delay but I'm still working to track down some information.  Wanted to let you know that your request had not been overlooked.

Regards,

--Sharon

Top Tags