cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Problem Installing Analytics Server Thingworx

AntonioFar
5-Regular Member

Problem Installing Analytics Server Thingworx

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install Thingworx analytics Server on my machine, but I'm having problems in the process.
Note:
-I'm installing Analytics Server with admin permissions
-I have enabled TLS for Analytics Microservices by adding TLS Keystore File
-I have TLS enabled for Zookeeper with truststore file

When I get to the Thingworx Connection Information window I get this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AntonioFar
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorfin)

Hi cmorfin,

I solved my problem, I was able to install Thingworx Analytics Server.

I probably made a mistake in generating my keystore and then extracting the .cer certificate to upload for the Thingworx Analitycs Server installation.

I generated my keystore following the official PTC guide:

keytool -genkey -alias selfsigned -keyalg RSA -keystore keyStore.jks -keysize 2048.

Next, I imported the .cer certificate and replaced it during the installation process.

Thank you, Antonio

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:AntonioFar)

Hi @AntonioFar 

You mentioned having enabled TLS for Analytics microservices and Zookeeper. I would like to point something out here.

Obviously security is important and should be taken seriously, however in the case of Analytics microservices and zookeeper, those are services installed by ThingWorx Analytics Server and they all run on the same machine, communicating to each other on that same machine, there is no network access. Therefore by enabling TLS for those components, you are securing a connection that never goes to the network. There might be scenario where this is needed, but you'll have to consider if the added complexity is necessary here.

Regarding securing the communication between ThingWorx Analytics Server and ThingWorx is different as both software can be deployed on different machine and anyway ThingWorx is likely needed in TLS as it is accessed by other clients over the Internet.

Now to the error you face, You are setting ThingWorx hostname as 127.0.0.1 and add a certificate.

Assuming that your certificate would be valid for 127.0.0.1, it would work only for the local machine, any other clients will not access ThingWorx via 127.0.0.1, they will use either its external ip address or its hostname. This means the every client will get a warning of unsecure connection because they would not be accessing the server with the ip defined in the certificate (127.0.0.1).

It does not seem to me that this is a useful certificate.
Could you give some explanation on your scenario ?

Can you maybe upload the thingworx.csr file ?

Thanks

Christophe

AntonioFar
5-Regular Member

Hi cmorphin,

here is my .csr certificate.

As you said, I set my localhost (127.0.0.1) in the Keystore generation.

When I access my thingworx composer with my browser, it shows me as insecure. 

AntonioFar
5-Regular Member

Hi cmorfin,

I solved my problem, I was able to install Thingworx Analytics Server.

I probably made a mistake in generating my keystore and then extracting the .cer certificate to upload for the Thingworx Analitycs Server installation.

I generated my keystore following the official PTC guide:

keytool -genkey -alias selfsigned -keyalg RSA -keystore keyStore.jks -keysize 2048.

Next, I imported the .cer certificate and replaced it during the installation process.

Thank you, Antonio

Top Tags