cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Real-time database updating

Mr_Henry_M
14-Alexandrite

Real-time database updating

Hi!

I'm working with ThingWorx Edge ADO Service and connecting to Excel-spreadsheet from which I'm getting information. The problem is that while I'm working with a mashup that uses this service, the spreadsheet, when I try to open it, says: "is locked for editing by 'another user'". Accordingly, I can't update the data in this spreadsheet so that it's immediately displayed in the mashup. Every time I have to stop the Windows service corresponding to the ThingWorx Edge ADO Service, and only then make changes to the spreadsheet and start the service again.

Is there any solution to solve this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:Mr_Henry_M)

@Mr_Henry_M 

This is more a standard feature of MS Excel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-file-is-locked-for-editing-6fa93887-2c2c-45f0-abcc-31b04aed68b3   gives some info about this, I think step 4 could be a solution for you.

Hope this helps

Christophe

Mr_Henry_M
14-Alexandrite
(To:cmorfin)

Thank you for the answer!

Perhaps it would really help, but the point is that I'm working in a virtual machine where there is no internet access. If this Excel feature isn't resolving locally or on a local server, then this is not what I need right now.

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @Mr_Henry_M 

I don't see a solution here.

What is happening is a standard MS Excel feature, if a user or process uses a spreadsheet, it is locked for other users unless you use a version of Excel that allows co-authoring, but that requires Office 365 (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/collaborate-on-excel-workbooks-at-the-same-time-with-co-authoring-7152aa8b-b791-414c-a3bb-3024e46fb104)

The only "solution" I could see locally would be to work on a copy of the spreadsheet and sync them from time to time, which will indeed requires stopping processes that uses it.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Mr_Henry_M.

If you feel your question was answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags