cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Rebuilding TWX / Moving to New server

ndupreez
6-Contributor

Rebuilding TWX / Moving to New server

We have an old version that we cant get up and running again.Version 7.4 running on Ubuntu 14TLS

I'm now trying to build a new server and restoring/moving data from old to new.

Steps I've taken:

Have a new server CentOs 7 with Postgres. Thingworx 8.4.2 installed and working. Can login to Thingworx composer etc.
I then copy the folders related to Thingworx from the old server to the new. I also export the data out the old server with pgdump

On the new server I recreate the DB with the scripts provided in the install directory. I then import the pg dump file into the new server.

When I start tomcat I cant access the website.

Error:

503 Service Unavailable
Back to composer.

8 REPLIES 8
ckaminski
13-Aquamarine
(To:ndupreez)

Hello:

Reading the post, it seems like this would be more appropriate for a support request.  Is it possible you can open a case at https://support.ptc.com?  With the log files and configuration files? 

Are there any errors in the log files? 

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @ndupreez.

On the ThingWorx server, did you remember to update the server name, etc. in /ThingworxPlatform/platform-settings.json?  Check the /ThingworxStorage/logs/ApplicationLog.log for errors.  Did you check the requirements for building the new server in regard to java version, Tomcat version, etc.?

If you can provide the logs, we'll try to assist.

Regards.

--Sharon

ndupreez
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

Hi Thank you for the response.

I manage to install a new server with the same version and import the PostgreSQL thingworx DB. All seems to work fine.

Only problem now is if I change the local IP thingworx does not start up. (lot of "things" connecting so will be nice to change the IP)

Everything on this server is set to use Localhost, so not sure as the why.

Catalina.out get stuck on

Loaded 'validation.properties' properties file

And does not go past this.

Regards

Niel

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @ndupreez.

We're not understanding why you would want to change the IP address now that ThingWorx is installed.  You indicated " lot of "things" connecting so will be nice to change the IP) " but we're not understanding this statement.

However, after changing the IP address, did you confirm PostgreSQL was starting successfully?  It may be that the database isn't up so ThingWorx can't start.  Have you checked the logs in /ThingworxStorage/logs?

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @ndupreez.

Have you found a solution to your problem?  If so, please provide the details and mark your post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

ndupreez
6-Contributor

Hi

I've installed the same version. Restored all the data from the old to the new server.

As mention all tested working. Trying to change the IP it does not come up.

Strange thing is it seems to be Internet connection. If I give the server internet access and restart it get stuck on:

Catalina.out

Loaded 'validation.properties' properties file

If I remove internet connection I can boot up 100% all working.

Is this not perhaps a licensing issue?

PS. Referring to removing Internet is just removing the gateway ip from the box.

Hello,

In addition to Catalina output you might be able to find some logs in ApplicationLog.log.

I wonder when you say "Restored all the data from the old to the new server" -- whether it also includes the keystore file(s). 

Do you follow the Upgrade guide?

/ Constantine

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @ndupreez.

Please let us know if you have resolved your issue.  If not, please provide more details around the need to change the IP address and the logs located at \ThingworxStorage\logs.  If we have a better understanding of your requirement, we may be able to provide a solution.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags