cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Remote Water Level monitoring

jmuchemi
1-Newbie

Remote Water Level monitoring

I am working with an NGO in remote parts of Africa to provide clean water and looking for an IoT devices that can do Remote water level monitoring with free text and email alerts!

This will enable us to monitor low water levels then send sms or email for the tanks to be refilled.

Any ideas and recommendation will be highly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
billrei
5-Regular Member
(To:jmuchemi)

This sensor might be useful. About eTape | Milone Technologies

billrei
5-Regular Member

Joseph,

You may have low power issues

I found this info in the Building the Web of Things book

element14 offers an EnOcean extension board for the Raspberry Pi so you can turn it into an EnOcean gateway101

EnOcean Module and Accessories | element14

kmagdum
12-Amethyst

Hi Joseph,

I have a small prototype ready for Water Level Sensor. This is developed with Ultrasonic Range Finder Module Sensor and Raspberry Pi. Here are some images I have while developing it. I have integrated output of that sensor with ThingWorx and created a small mashup to display its value.

water_level_sensor1.png

empty_water_tank.png

water_level_incm.png

Here are some best suited options:

1) Ultrasonic Range Finder Module Sensor and Raspberry Pi:

Cost: $45 max.

If we have a good internet connectivity, then this is a good option and we can integrate some more sensors for other purpose with Raspberry Pi. Instead of using ThingWorx (as there is a licensing cost associated with it) we can directly program it on Raspberry Pi. There are Javamail libraries available through which we can send sms and emails.

Here are some links from amazon:

Ultrasonic Range Finder Module Sensor,

Amazon.com: DROK®Accurate Arduino Ultrasonic Distance Meassuring Sensor Module Precise ULtrsound Wave Distance Measureme…

Raspberry Pi,

Amazon.com: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU: Computers & Accessories

2) Ultrasonic Range Finder Module Sensor and Arduino Uno R3:

Cost: $53

This is an alternate option for Raspberry Pi.

Here are some links from amazon:

Ultrasonic Range Finder Module Sensor,

Amazon.com: DROK®Accurate Arduino Ultrasonic Distance Meassuring Sensor Module Precise ULtrsound Wave Distance Measureme…

Arduino Uno R3

Amazon.com: MakerBest Hight Quality Compatible Arduino UNO R3 ATmega328P Development Kits: Computers & Accessories

GSM Shield for Arduino:

Amazon.com: GSM GPRS Shield for Arduino: Computers & Accessories

Please let us know your ideas and if you have shortlisted any and feedback as well.

Thanks,

Ketan

Top Tags