cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Resize image file on Thingworx repository

ysb
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Resize image file on Thingworx repository

Hi everyone,

I have 100+ images on a Thingworx repository that I would like to load and show them on UI (Mashup).

Each image file has between 100KB/200 KB, so when I run a service to load all of them will be something like

(100+ Images)* (100/200KB) to download, which takes a lot o time to load.

For this reason, I've decided to reduce the image resolution on Thingworx, so that it could reduce the file's sizes and increase the loading speed to UI. To do so I've imported the Imaging Tools Extension :  https://marketplace.ptc.com/apps/193452/imaging-tools#!overview

But, when using this extension, it would certainly reduce the images resolution but when these new files (with reduced resolution) were saved, all of them had around 1MB+ ...

- Is there a way to reduce image file size on Thingworx ? 

- If not, what would be the best way to create thumbnails for each image, load them (assuming that it will be faster than loading the full image), and then  keep loading the full image at every click on specific thumbnail ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

YB

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:ysb)

Hi @ysb.

Maybe another approach would be to limit the number of images per page.  The user would need to click to advance to the next page to load the next set of images.  This could allow your app to run efficiently without the possible need to beef up your hardware.  Other considerations around your design include available bandwidth and number of users.

In terms of the why the Imaging extension is increasing the size of the images, is something we will have to follow up on.  Once we have more information, we will post it here.

In the meantime, if you have remaining questions, please let us know.

Regards.

--Sharon

ysb
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

Hi @slangley ,

Thank you very much  for your reply and ideas!

I will consider that approach.

Best Regards, 

ysb

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:ysb)

Hi @ysb.

Could you also advise which version of ThingWorx you are running?

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags