cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Restricting visibility between users and things in the organization

vmedvedev
1-Newbie

Restricting visibility between users and things in the organization

I have assets and users with visibility set to the same organization. As I understand all user from the organization can see all assets. I have requirement that every user could see only some subset of assets from the organization that is configurable run-time. How I will achieve this? Should I create for every asset  user group, say,  <AssetName>_DisableAccess_Group, put users why are not allowed to see asset into this group and configure run time permission for asset disabling all  read/write, execute, subscribe operations for this group? Or there is another way to achieve this?

Thank in advance,

Vladimir Medvedev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:vmedvedev)

Just create appropriate Organizational subunits.

Either each user is their own unit or if you can group the devices, then create a unit per group and then assign the Users or User Groups to the appropriate Units

then assign those units to the appropriate entities in Thingworx.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Just create appropriate Organizational subunits.

Either each user is their own unit or if you can group the devices, then create a unit per group and then assign the Users or User Groups to the appropriate Units

then assign those units to the appropriate entities in Thingworx.

Thank you for the quick response. As I can have thousands assets and few users so it is better to assign users to separate sub units. Just another quick question. Organization could have child organization with own set of assets and users. To give users from parent organization ability to see the assets from child organization I need to add to child asset visibility property user sub units  from the parent organization. Will it work or I need to do something else.

Thanks again,

Vladimir Medvedev

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

In Thingworx visibility inherits up the structure.

So Users who need to see assets in all child nodes, should be assigned to the parent node.

Top Tags