cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Set up units for remotely bound properties

FS_9669860
7-Bedrock

Set up units for remotely bound properties

Dear all,

Thank you very much for you help on other topics.

I have a question regarding setting up the unit of a numeric tag in thingworx which is remotely bound with a Kepserver tag.

As you can see in the screenshot below the unit field is disabled.

setupunits.png

I want to set up this units value. Where can I do that?

In Kepserver? How?

Can I override?

Can I do it programmatically?

Same question for min and max values.

I'm looking for any inputs regarding that.

4 REPLIES 4
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:FS_9669860)

How do you intend to use these fields? These are 'just' meta data fields and are not used by the system in any which way.

I believe you can set these up first when you have it created as a regular non-remote property and then convert it to remote by binding to it and it should retain that information, but again it is just meta data and not used by the system. They also must be retrieved from the Design vs. the Runtime information I believe.

Thank you Pai for your answer.

Thing is, in the context of the project with have real machines with hundreds of tags declared in Kepserver. 

So we create a thing via the industrial connector thing by selecting the appropriate properties. Declaring the properties manually one by one would take too much time. 

I know it's just meta data, we don't plan to use any structured algorithm and don't expect any (from OOTB TWX), don't worry about that. 
It's just that we want to display dimensions with their units. We developped one gadget which is able to display any property.

So, we would like to be able to configure the metadata on every property after binding them locally.

I don't understand why it's read only in the first place, unless this information can be configured in Kepserver...

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

As I mentioned this is information that is part of a regular unbound property, so I think it may be hard to accomplish what you want.

Although a little more 'expensive' and it could create a very large amount of additional properties, but you can use additional properties otherwise to store this information and it would also be easy to retrieve.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @FS_9669860.

Programmatic updates aren't currently supported, but a request has been submitted for this on the ThingWorx Ideas board.  You can vote for it here.

If you wish to manually add the units, you'll have to change the Bindings to None, set the Unit, then change the Bindings back again.

Regards.

--Sharon

Announcements

Top Tags