cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Thing template and thing services name conflict

jhutson
1-Newbie

Thing template and thing services name conflict

I have a Thing that contains several services that I wanted to "move" to the Thing template. what I have done is create the services in the template with the same name and then save the template.

I then proceeded to the Thing with the intention of deleting the services from the Thing, only to find that several of the services have gone missing. the remaining services I then deleted and tried to save the thing.

I was greeted with the following error message:

save failed, status: "Internal Server Error", message: "Import Failed: A Name Conflict Has Been Detected With Service CMD_BOILER2_OFF in Thing MossleyHollins"

I am now unable to delete the services from either the template or Thing as I get the same error.

any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
paic
1-Newbie
(To:jhutson)

Hi James, try the following first. Close the Thingworx composer and then re-open it, open up the Thing and the ThingTemplate and check to see what services are currently listed on either.

Then sort out the conflict issues by first temporarily copying your service code to notepad and removing the service from the Thing and after that creating it in the template.

If the conflict issue persist then it is possible something residual is stuck in the Server memory and you may have to stop and restart Thingworx (or Tomcat) to clear that out.

jhutson
1-Newbie
(To:paic)

Hi Pai,

thanks for your reply,

I have tried doing as you suggested and it still won't work. I think the issue is that the Thing service and the Template service have the same name. When I created the service in the Template, a service with the same name already existed in the Thing itself.

do you know of a way to edit the Thing to remove all the services and then re-import it?

paic
1-Newbie

If you look at the right side when you have your Thing open, there is a MORE dropdown. From there you can take your Thing and create a ThingTemplate from it. That would be the best way I think.

jhutson
1-Newbie

Hi Pai,

in that case, is there a way to easily replace the Thing?

what i mean is that we have a couple of mashups that use the Thing with 250-300 bindings on each. can i delete the original Thing, and replace it with a new Thing with exactly the same name? will this then automatically reassign the bindings to the new Thing?

thanks

paic
1-Newbie

Hi James that should work as long as you make sure not to open the mashup in between.

Do note that if there are discrepancies in the names, those specific bindings will not function properly.

jhutson
1-Newbie

Thanks Pai, worked a treat...

Top Tags