cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

ThingWorx Analytics Server installation: Can't validate Thingworx Foundation connection

tyadav
1-Newbie

ThingWorx Analytics Server installation: Can't validate Thingworx Foundation connection

Hi,

I am trying to install Thingworx Analytics Server 8.1 on a Windows 10 VM using the docker installation process. While installing the analytics server, after entering the ThingWorx host and AppKey, I am getting an error message of failed validation for the Thingworx foundation connection (please see the attached screenshot).

Just to check that if the AppKey is working, I tried some simple PUT and GET request test and the key seems to be working.

However, I would like to point out that my ThingWorx core is installed on a different VM (Windows Server 2012 R2). Is this maybe the reason for the failed validation? If yes, what can be done to rectify this?

Thanks!

P.S. Follow the conversation from Not able to install ThingWorx Analytics server 8.1 since Docker not supported for Windows 2012 R2. I am trying to install it with the 1st suggested option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tyadav
1-Newbie
(To:cmorfin)

Hi Christophe,

Based on your suggestion, I installed the AnalyticsServer on a new linux based VM (stand alone or without the docker version). I am now able to see the AnalyticsServer thing in the TW core as well as, in the Analytics Builder.

Thanks for all the help!

Tushar

P.S. Just a quick question , out of curiosity, is there any performance difference bewteen the versions of Analytics Server with and without docker? What exactly is the purpose of docker in the whole process?

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:tyadav)

Hi Tushar

You wrote that you are attempting to install ThingWorx Analytics on a Windows 10 machine while ThingWorx Core is on a Windows 2012 machine.

Consequently they are not on the same machine, however in the installer screenshot you have entered localhost for the ThingWorx host.

This should point to the Windows 2012 machine, which is different form the Windows 10 on which you are installing, so you should use the ip address of your ThingWorx Core machine, not localhost.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to put in the IP address of the TW core machine (Win 2012) as well, but it didn't work too.

Also just to make sure both the machines are running at the same time, I first run my Windows 10 VM and in that VM, I run my Windows 2012 VM, but still, it is not validating and I am getting an error message.

Thanks!

Tushar

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

When you are on your Windows 10 machine on which you want to install ThingWorx Analytics, could you open a  browser and access your ThingWorx Core server ?

If you can, could you use the same information for host in the installation wizard ?

Thanks

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

No I can't. See, my Thingworx core (alongwith Apache Tomcat etc.) is installed on a Windows 2012  R2 VM. However, in order to install the Analytics Server, we had to create a separate VM (which operates on Wind 10: to support docker). I am a little confused at this moment. If I understood correctly, you want me to open a browser in my Windows 10 VM and put in the <ip>:8080/Thingworx and see if it works, correct? If that was the case then, unfortunately, it didn't work (please see attached screenshot).  Or did you want me to do something else?

Thanks!

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

Thank you. You did the right test.

This shows that your Windows 10 machine cannot access ThingWorx platform. This therefore explains why the installer cannot validate the ThingWorx installation. You will only be able to validate once you can access ThingWorx composer from a browser from your Windows 10 machine.

At this stage you should check if you can ping the ThingWorx machine from your Windows 10 machine.

If you can't you coudl start by stopping the fiewall on both mahcine.

If you still cannot communicate then you probably have a network issue between both VM.

You will need to fix this first and make sure both machine can communicate prior going further forward.

Kind rgeards

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the reply. I disabled the firewall on both the systems and was able to install the Analytics Server.

However, I am still not able to see the analytics thing which was supposed to be created after the installation and which I am supposed to add as an analytics gateway in the Analytics builderProblem while Configuring Communication Settings in Analytics Builder. I also didn't get any installation summary at the end of the installation as mentioned here Installing ThingWorx Analytics Server 8.0 - YouTube  It just said that the installation process is finished and didn't give an option to view installation summary

Since, I am not able to see the thing in TW composer, I tried to verify if the installation is successful or not by going to the start menu (as indicated in the guide), I was able to see the twanalyticsserver Start, restart and stop options but NOT the uninstall option (as mentioned in the guide)

Thanks!

P.S The docker is running in the Windows container mode

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

On your Windows 10 where you installed Analytics, could you open a Power shell or command prompt and post the output of the command docker ps -a

also could you upload the file edgems.log created after executing the command docker logs edgems > edgems.log (the file will be created in the current working directory)

Thanks

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your reply.

Please find attached the screenshots in of the two commands which you requested.

Also, I am not able to find the edgems.log file. Could you please specify as to where the file would have been created exactly? In the docker folder or somewhere else?

Thanks!

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

Could you execute again the same commands but in a Command prompt in elevated mode (Run as Administrator) ?

if you have the same output, that is no containers listed, could please collect all the .log files under the installation directory (by default C:\Program Files(x86)/ThingWorxAnalyticsServer) and upload them here ?

Thank you

Kind regards

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching the outputs which I got from running the commands as the administrator. I am attaching the screenshots and the Analyticsserverfolder  install.log for your review.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

I apologize, I did overlook an important point in your first sentence of your first post.

You mentioned you are installing on a Windows 10 VM.

Unless very special circumstances, you cannot do this, you need a physical Windows 10 machine.

docker on Windows uses virtualization and in most cases you cannot have a nested virtualization (docker inside a VM) .

In your case you probably cannot run the docker test: docker run hello-world, which then prohibit going any further with the installation since Analytics is based on docker.

You would need to use a physical Windows 10.

If you need to use a virtual machine, you will then need to go for a CentOS or Ubuntu one.

Hope this help

Kind regards

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the problem now. Since I have a physical Windows 10 too on my personal pc but it is a home edition (not supported by docker).

I tried to install the Virtualbox on my Windows 2012 VM but the only options I was getting were for 32 bit Linux OS and not the 64 bits ones. I do not understand why?

Also, will it be possible, if I install Virtualbox on my personal Windows 10 Home Edition PC and in that virtualbox I install the 64 bit Linux based OS and then do the installation with the Linux Stand Alone files available on the website??

Thanks!

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Christophe,

Based on your suggestion, I installed the AnalyticsServer on a new linux based VM (stand alone or without the docker version). I am now able to see the AnalyticsServer thing in the TW core as well as, in the Analytics Builder.

Thanks for all the help!

Tushar

P.S. Just a quick question , out of curiosity, is there any performance difference bewteen the versions of Analytics Server with and without docker? What exactly is the purpose of docker in the whole process?

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

I am happy it works for you.

I am not aware of any difference in term of performance or functionality between the docker and native version of ThingWorx Analytics.

It is more down to a user's preference .

Kind regards

Christophe

Hello, I am facing the same problem trying to verify the ThingWorx Foundation connection.

I am running ThingWorx Analytics server on a windows 7 , 16GB and 8 cores, diferente than ThingWorx Foundation

I have installed the Docker Toolbox and make sure that I have a computer that has a HAV capable processor and if this feature (HAV setting) is enabled on the processor (from the BIOS).

I can ping my ThingWorx Core Foundation Server IP from my windows 7, but my browser can not access to my ThingWorx Core server with an 8080 port.

any ideas?

I got it working with port 80.

Val.

Hey Val,

Apologies for the delayed response. I am glad it worked out for you.

Regards,

Tushar

Thank you Tushar, right now i am facing same issue as

Thingworx analytics 8.0 docker installation on windows 7

but for version 8.1, let me know if you have any idea.

Val.

Hey Val,

Is your Windows 7 system on which you are running your analytics server ( a physical system or a virtual machine?)

As Chritophe suggested in one of my earlier questions that Docker doesn't work in virtual machines and that was the problem which I was facing while trying to establish the connection between the ThingWorx core and Analytics Server.

Best regards,

Tushar

is Windows 7, docker toolbox, and I am using a physical system.

Thanks,

Val.

Hello Valeria

I would recommend you create a new thread with the specifics of your issues.

this is to avoid making this particular thread confusing since the original issue reported here has nothing to do with your new problem.

Thank you

Kind regards

Christophe

Top Tags