cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

ThingWorx-Platform-Mssql-8-4-1 installation issues

tusagrawal
4-Participant

ThingWorx-Platform-Mssql-8-4-1 installation issues

Hi,

I am trying to install ThingWorx-Platform-Mssql-8-4-1 on my windows instance and I am facing the attached error which is terminating the installation. 

Steps I followed : 

1. Downloaded the installer file ThingWorx-Platform-Windows-FoundationInstaller-Mssql-8-4-1 (144 MB) from https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=TWX

2. Created an user in MsSQL with required SysAdmin and DB access credentials

3. Extracted the downloaded installer file and tried installing by providing the required MsSQL DB parameters with the user credentails.

4. Installation started and got terminated half way due to the above error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @tusagrawal.

We have been unable to recreate this issue, therefore we are so far unable to determine the cause.  However, from working cases in which failures have occurred with different errors, here are some things you should check:

• Are you installing on Windows 2016?  This is the only Windows version that is supported for the foundation installers.
  • I noticed you created a user in SQL Server.  Are you referring to the SysAdmin account or a ThingWorx account?  The installer will create the one needed for ThingWorx.
  • Did you install a supported JDK?  The JRE does not contain all the developer tools that are needed.
  • Did you add the path for the java keytool.exe to the system environment variables? (Comes with the JDK.)

Here is a link to the Foundation Installer requirements and instructions which may be helpful.

This guide may also be helpful for ensuring that you are adhering to the requirements for your SQL Server implementation.  You can stop at page 16 for running the foundation installer.  The remaining instructions are for a manual setup.

Please let us know if this helps you to find a solution to your issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:tusagrawal)

Hi @tusagrawal.

We are investigating this issue and will respond once we have more information.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @tusagrawal.

We have been unable to recreate this issue, therefore we are so far unable to determine the cause.  However, from working cases in which failures have occurred with different errors, here are some things you should check:

• Are you installing on Windows 2016?  This is the only Windows version that is supported for the foundation installers.
  • I noticed you created a user in SQL Server.  Are you referring to the SysAdmin account or a ThingWorx account?  The installer will create the one needed for ThingWorx.
  • Did you install a supported JDK?  The JRE does not contain all the developer tools that are needed.
  • Did you add the path for the java keytool.exe to the system environment variables? (Comes with the JDK.)

Here is a link to the Foundation Installer requirements and instructions which may be helpful.

This guide may also be helpful for ensuring that you are adhering to the requirements for your SQL Server implementation.  You can stop at page 16 for running the foundation installer.  The remaining instructions are for a manual setup.

Please let us know if this helps you to find a solution to your issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @tusagrawal.

If my previous response provided a solution to your issue, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags