cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Thingworx 8.1: cannot save new GenericThing entity - Loading progress bar remains on the screen

rad1
9-Granite

Thingworx 8.1: cannot save new GenericThing entity - Loading progress bar remains on the screen

I just installed Thingworx 8.1 (MS SQL) on Windows 10 with SQL Server Dev 2014.

When creating a simple entity based on GenericThing template (with or without adding any properties) and pressing Save,

first very shortly Saving appears and soon after Loading progress bar remains on the screen and of course it is a modal dialog box obscuring the whole page.

No error in any logs. I checked SQL Server Profiler and nothing indicates inserting into entity related tables is happening.

How can I troubleshoot this problem.

I checked these logs and didn't find anything indicating error.

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5\logs

C:\ThingworxStorage\logs

I can for instance change an existing entity, let say add a tag.

In my platform-settings.json file I use twadmin user for my sql server persistence provider.

In my LicensingConnectionSettings section I don't yet have activationIds which means I still have 30 days of trial.

Is this related to some bug in v. 8.1.

I attached what I saw when pressing Save button. Loading progress bars stays on screen in-definitively. I can close the new entity tab, but nothing is saved since saving didn't suceed.

Than you,

Rad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:rad1)

Hi Rad

When you do not specify an activation id, ThingWorx starts in limited mode for 30 days .. this is not a trial mode, it is meant to be able to access ThignWorx in mostly read only mode and access the licensing subsystem to identify what can go wrong.

See Article Viewer | PTC and Article Viewer | PTC

When in limited mode you , indeed, cannot save an entity with the browser hanging as you described.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:rad1)

Hi Rad

When you do not specify an activation id, ThingWorx starts in limited mode for 30 days .. this is not a trial mode, it is meant to be able to access ThignWorx in mostly read only mode and access the licensing subsystem to identify what can go wrong.

See Article Viewer | PTC and Article Viewer | PTC

When in limited mode you , indeed, cannot save an entity with the browser hanging as you described.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

rad1
9-Granite
(To:cmorfin)

It make sense. I didn't see where it was written.

Thanks,

Rad

Top Tags