cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Thingworx 9.0 forces the use of Oracle Java SE Subscription License

OCMutz
10-Marble

Thingworx 9.0 forces the use of Oracle Java SE Subscription License

Hi all,

I was a little shocked that Thingworx 9.0 requires JDK 8U241 or higher.

No alternative support for OpenJDK or Coretto is available.

As a consequence every commercial user upgrading or installing Thingworx 9.0 is forced to purchase Oracle Java SE Subscription Licenses which might be quite expensive depending on the underlying architecture.

Does anybody know about any plans to support Open JDK or Amazon Coretto in upcoming releases of Thingworx?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ThingWorx 9.1 is released today and includes Open JDK Coretto as supported platform. Have fun and lets close this topic.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:OCMutz)

Hi @OCMutz.

I'm happy to advise that support for OpenJDK is coming in a future release. Once more details are known regarding the target date/release, I will post an update.

Regards.

--Sharon

@slangley How long will that take? 9.0.x or 9.1 or 10? Thingworx 9 is now available, but most customer will not upgrade because of that hot java topic. I don't know any SME  which is willing to pay Oracle for those licenses. Especially it they run just Thingworx Navigate. Windchill is now compatible with Amazon Corretto. Please provide any roadmap, so the customer can plan their upgrade.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:BjoernRueegg)

Hi @BjoernRueegg.

Details regarding the version and release date are not yet finalized.  As previously stated, I will post an update here once we have more information.

Regards.

--Sharon

Thx. Just that you know, I guess no customer won't do any upgrade until the Java problem will be solved with a "free" solution.

Hi, regarding the timeline PTC has to be crystal clear not to commit anything before it is released. You can already see that the latest version of 8.5 and 9.0 seems to run with Coretto without easy to notice bugs. The plan is to enable this quite soon and you know: Software is a beast

My Sandbox systems do well with Coretto but for sure for the production instance, you have to be on a supported path.

We are still on track: Amazon Corretto OpenJDK 11 is likely for Thingworx 9.1. This will be in line with all the other PTC products. Crossing fingers and we will get this before Christmas. As always: No commitment.

Stefan

The non-public pre-release of 9.1 is released and Amazon Corretto Java 11 (OpenJDK) is IN

vinay55
4-Participant
(To:StefanBode)

How can I get access to non-public release of 9.1?

This is a PTC internal version. Please wait a few weeks. 9.1 is in the final steps for release

@BjoernRueegg 

Seeing you are interested in the release dates for ThingWorx 9.1, be aware that we publish those dates here:

https://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/PTC_Product_Calendar.htm#RANGE!A577

That page includes the estimated release date for ThingWorx 9.1

Looking at your earlier request regarding compatibility with non-Oracle JDK implementations, while the PTC community is a good source of information that will help remove some roadblocks in many cases, the best channel for the information you asked for is either your Partner Manager (if you're an system integrator), or your customer's Customer Success Manager.

This specific topic is not just a small implementation question and as such must be managed more appropriately through those channels, who will make sure to get you in contact with our internal structure who is responsible for those areas. In this way, you'll get a much faster and verified answer.

Hope it helps in the future!

ThingWorx 9.1 is released today and includes Open JDK Coretto as supported platform. Have fun and lets close this topic.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:OCMutz)

Hi @OCMutz.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags