cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Thingworx 9.3 Manual Install Issue: cannot login by using InitialPassword

MP_10384676
6-Contributor

Thingworx 9.3 Manual Install Issue: cannot login by using InitialPassword

My first time to install Thingworx 9.3 on Window server 2022 and I followed the manual installation in Help Center page.

The step -> To launch ThingWorx, go to "http://localhost:8080/Thingworx" in a Web browser.

It shows screen for username and password.

I try using username: Administrator

password: <same value of InitialPassword of platform-settings.json file>  (I used Th!ngworx@1234)

but still cannot login and try to check the log into folder ThingworxStorage\logs\SecurityLog.txt

2023-01-16 00:34:22.594+0700 [L: WARN] [O: S.c.t.s.a.AuthenticationUtilities] [I: ] [U: ???] [S: ] [P: ] [T: http-nio-8080-exec-2] Authentication FAILED for [user = Administrator] using [directory service = ThingWorxDirectoryService] : Invalid Password
2023-01-16 00:34:22.594+0700 [L: WARN] [O: S.c.t.s.a.AuthenticationUtilities] [I: ] [U: ???] [S: ] [P: ] [T: http-nio-8080-exec-2] Authentication failed for [user = Administrator]. Please make sure the credentials are correct.

MP_10384676_0-1673806272087.png

How to solve it? please,

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:MP_10384676)

Hi @MP_10384676.

It appears you're using directory services for authentication.  Does the Administrator account exist in your directory?

I also noticed that you are installing on Windows Server 2022.  Currently, this version of the Windows O/S is not supported.  I don't think this is the cause of your issue, but if you failed to follow the system requirements for Tomcat or Java, you could experience a number of issues.  Here is the link to find the system requirements for the version of ThingWorx you are installing, for validating your environment is compatible.

I also want to mention that the installer version of ThingWorx includes Tomcat so using the installer could be a time saver for you since Tomcat will not have to be installed manually.  Upgrades using the installer also upgrade Tomcat  and you won't have to worry about ensuring you have a compatible version.  Something else to note here, is that if you plan to run Navigate, you will have to use the installer version, otherwise Navigate will fail to install.

Please let us know if you are continuing to have issues.  If so, please provide further details of your environment as well as the logs located at \ThingworxStorage\logs.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

How many times did you try to login? After a preset number of attempts, the user is locked out for 15 minutes. Only after that time it will be unlocked and allow you to try to login again.The biggest suspicion I have is the fact the password you used for the Administrator is not the one in the config file.

Either the copy paste did not work, so paste it in a word document, verify it's the correct one, then copy again and it should work.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:MP_10384676)

Hi @MP_10384676.

It appears you're using directory services for authentication.  Does the Administrator account exist in your directory?

I also noticed that you are installing on Windows Server 2022.  Currently, this version of the Windows O/S is not supported.  I don't think this is the cause of your issue, but if you failed to follow the system requirements for Tomcat or Java, you could experience a number of issues.  Here is the link to find the system requirements for the version of ThingWorx you are installing, for validating your environment is compatible.

I also want to mention that the installer version of ThingWorx includes Tomcat so using the installer could be a time saver for you since Tomcat will not have to be installed manually.  Upgrades using the installer also upgrade Tomcat  and you won't have to worry about ensuring you have a compatible version.  Something else to note here, is that if you plan to run Navigate, you will have to use the installer version, otherwise Navigate will fail to install.

Please let us know if you are continuing to have issues.  If so, please provide further details of your environment as well as the logs located at \ThingworxStorage\logs.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags