cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Thingworx 9.3 - Properties & performance limitations

CV_8613073
5-Regular Member

Thingworx 9.3 - Properties & performance limitations

I am  creating one thing (large machine Digital Twin) with ~320 Properties(plc tags) 

We have seen connection issue with our Kepware server that usually resolve after a while, restarts etc. when trying to navigate the properties or import them at the beginning using All Tags via Manage Bindings) . Is this a common issue exceeding a certain number of properties.

I can do this smarter by structuring kepware folders ahead of time, so the folder structure supports a more controlled import via manage bindings.(break down the properties in groups that summarize logically per function for example). I assume that will pay off later using getProperties, QueryPropertyHistory etc. in the Mashups.

Are there any best practices out there, property limit per thing limitation. Most of our data comes through kepware from the PLC .directly

1 REPLY 1

Hi,

I'm am not sure what is the actual question (did not see any question mark) but the thing to remember is that there's no limit of properties per Thing, just that Composer enforces a graphical limit of displaying only 250 tags (implemented sometime after 9.0, but I'm not sure when).

You can for example create 2500 tags, and search through all of them, but Composer will only display the top 250 in order to have the page be more responsive.

If you have issues with Kepware please make sure to open a support case, as you don't want this situation be left as is, you should really understand why it happens.

Note that usually we don't use hundreds of properties in an application, so we don't expect that you'll encounter this limit.

There are of course situations where you just want to store ALL tags in InfluxDB (as an example), but I advise not to store these tags forever, and instead treat InfluxDB as a hot data store (for the last 3 months let's say). For long term storage you should probably use something like ADLS, or a pure SQL database etc...something cheap.

Top Tags