cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Thingworx Concurrent user login limit

TanmeyTWX
17-Peridot

Thingworx Concurrent user login limit

Hi Experts,

I have few questions to be clarified around user login.

1. How to identify concurrent user login limit ?

I did check GetLicenseInfo states twx_named_user as Total Feature Count = 60. Does this mean 60 users at a time can login?

2. Is there any limit of users can access Thingworx application based on specific sizing. Example: 64GB RAM and 16 CPU sized Thingworx instance can allow how many users to login at the same time?

3. Is there any readily available tool/application to perform load testing of the Thingworx application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:TanmeyTWX)

Hi @TanmeyTWX.

There are 2 types of contracts related to ThingWorx--asset-based and user-based.  In an asset-based contract, the customer is allowed to create as many users as needed regardless of the limit reflected in Licensing Subsystem Settings.  In this scenario, customers should keep track of their assets.

In a user-based contract, customers should keep an eye on the number of users that exist compared to the number of users that are allowed.  The system allows for the addition of as many users as needed to avoid disruption to the customer's business, but the contract should be updated to reflect the actual user needs of the company.  Note that there is no defined limit on concurrent users in ThingWorx. Other products, such as Navigate, however, may enforce this restriction.

There is no easy answer regarding sizing.  This will be unique for each customer depending on the points you previously mentioned, as well as the specs related to the VM or server you are running on.  We have some customer deployments with hundreds or thousands of users.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @TanmeyTWX,

For 1. please take a look at the following support article, https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS324097 and recent post, https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/twx-named-user-Limits/td-p/848286, on license info.  Specifical twx_named_user should refer to the number of users you are allowed to create in ThingWorx.

2. There are not explicit limits defined based on server sizing due to load really depends on what the system and user actions are doing.  For example if users only have visibility to one thing and are loading information about this thing in a mashup.  The amount of resources required would be significantly less than someone view 30k things.  Efficiency of services and mashups also play a factor and are dependent on implementation.

3. There are different tools out there, JMeter has been used to simulate users and server calls.

Thanks,

Travis

Hi @TravisPickett 

For the first point, my understanding is that  60 users in the twx_named_users is the no of users can be created and can access the application and to increase the this count I have to get the license for more users.

Regarding the second point on User limit, I understand that sizing is not the only factor but the model design, no of things, way of data ingestion etc. I just want to understand if there's any benchmark of maximum users in a typical TWX application. Its can't be just unlimited

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanmeyTWX.

There are 2 types of contracts related to ThingWorx--asset-based and user-based.  In an asset-based contract, the customer is allowed to create as many users as needed regardless of the limit reflected in Licensing Subsystem Settings.  In this scenario, customers should keep track of their assets.

In a user-based contract, customers should keep an eye on the number of users that exist compared to the number of users that are allowed.  The system allows for the addition of as many users as needed to avoid disruption to the customer's business, but the contract should be updated to reflect the actual user needs of the company.  Note that there is no defined limit on concurrent users in ThingWorx. Other products, such as Navigate, however, may enforce this restriction.

There is no easy answer regarding sizing.  This will be unique for each customer depending on the points you previously mentioned, as well as the specs related to the VM or server you are running on.  We have some customer deployments with hundreds or thousands of users.

Regards.

--Sharon

@slangley Thanks for the clarification. I have already requested the customer to update contract with license to allow more users.

Hi @slangley 

Since the IsEnforced is set to False for named_users, what will happen to users created beyond the user limit mentioned in the license info subsystem?

I believe new users will still be created but will they be able to execute admin/system services like GetGroupMembers, GetUserGroups, etc. ?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanmeyTWX.

New users would typically not be granted access but it will depend on your process for creating them.  I recommend creating a test user and then logging in as that user to validate.

Regards.

--Sharon

@slangley 

Users still getting created. There should be some restrictions once limit is reached. Any document or reference for that?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanmeyTWX.

Unfortunately, there is no way out of the box to limit the number of users being created.  You could create your own service for creating users that would validate against the Available Feature Count.  Another option would be to create a subscription running on a scheduled basis to alert when the count exceeds the allowance.  If you're running SSO or Active Directory with auto user provisioning, that will complicate things.

It would also be a good idea to submit a request for this on the ThingWorx Ideas forum.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley 

I guess I didn't mention my query clearly.

I'd like to determine the potential consequences in the Composer or runtime application if the user count surpasses the license limit. This will enable me to request the customer to expand the license limit. Specifically, I want to identify any issues, malfunctions, or disruptions that may occur.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @TanmeyTWX.

There are no concerns around the user count surpassing the license limit.  The system will continue to function as expected.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags