cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Thingworx Startup Failure ConcurrentModificationException

mhoskins
6-Contributor

Thingworx Startup Failure ConcurrentModificationException

Hi all,

I have two Thingworx servers in an HA configuration. Recently both servers were taken down for maintenance. After maintenance, one server was started. During the startup, the server took HA leadership and began initializing like normal, but abruptly failed to initialize and shut down the system. The HA leadership was transferred to the passive server, which booted up without an issue. I am trying to understand why the initial startup failed.

The application logs show that the initialization ran up to the step "Initializing Reference Caches", at which point a ConcurrentModificationException was thrown by the Curator-LeaderSelector thread. Based on what I've been able to find, that appears to indicate there were multiple threads which attempted to overwrite the same object. I'm at a loss as to why this might have occured during initialization.

The only other error which was thrown at the time of the exception was an InvalidRequestException due to the Thing [AlwaysOnReporting] not running, but that has always been resolved once initialization is complete, so I doubt it's related to this error.

Has anyone experienced a similar initialization failure and could shed some light?

I've included the stack trace from the exception and the application log of the server startup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yanchen
15-Moonstone
(To:mhoskins)

Hi,

This is a bug for HA environment, and will be fixed in ThingWorx 8.5.10 per Jira TW-80189.

ThingWorx 8.5.10 will be estimated to be released during the middle of Nov.2020.

For now, if it is production environment, please open a case to technical support.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
yanchen
15-Moonstone
(To:mhoskins)

Hi,

This is a bug for HA environment, and will be fixed in ThingWorx 8.5.10 per Jira TW-80189.

ThingWorx 8.5.10 will be estimated to be released during the middle of Nov.2020.

For now, if it is production environment, please open a case to technical support.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:yanchen)

HI @mhoskins.

ThingWorx 8.5.10 which contains a fix for this issue, has been released.  You can find the download here.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others in the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags