cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Thingworx Web push notification

VV_10743662
6-Contributor

Thingworx Web push notification

Hi There,

Is there any possibility to get web Push notification in Thing Worx? Any OOTB widget or extension available?

My Requirement is that when the user has minimized the Thingworx browser, then the user will be able to receive the notification, like Web Push Notification.

Thanks in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THanks @VV_10743662 

Understood, so you're looking for browser notifications. Be careful, because in this scenario it is mandatory that the user first accepts the Notification permission.

The change in browser visibility (to detect minimize/maximize) can be intercepted with the Visibility API (works cross-browsers).

If you want to add Teams notifications (in the sense the user gets a message in Teams) you need to use Microsoft's Graph API to send such messages.

Overall speaking, this requires you to develop a Widget at least, to detect the browser changes and more important, to trigger notifications browser side. I think, but I did not use it before, that Firebase Cloud Messaging could be used for this. They have a Javascript SDK that you can package in your widget.

Note that for sending the actual notification, you can use the same API from the widget, but I would propose to implement the sending in the ThingWorx server, so that you can trigger notifications also from the server in the future (not only from the widget).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Similar discussion - "ThingWorx Website Push Notifications": https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/ThingWorx-Website-Push-Notifications/td-p/526805 

VV_10743662
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

Hi @VladimirN 

I have checked this post and the extension mentioned is not available in the marketplace when I checked. If you know the extension is available

can you share the name and link.

Thanks

Try also sending a request via the form: https://www.ptc.com/en/products/thingworx/contact-us 

Hi @VV_10743662 

I have two questions:

1. Is the requirement that the same user that minimized browser will receive that notification? This feels a bit strange, tbh, especially if you're the same user.

Or another user will receive that notification?

2. Also, what type of notifications you're looking to get? There are Windows notifications, browser notifications (which require first the user to allow notifications, to which the user can just say no), Teams notifications (user can be notified via a Message). I imagine you're looking for browser notifications, correct?

Hi @VladimirRosu 

1. Is the requirement that the same user that minimized browser will receive that notification? This feels a bit strange, tbh, especially if you're the same user.

Or another user will receive that notification?

>> Requirement is for same user to receive notification when he is doing some other task and Thing Worx Browser window is minimized, something occur then the browser notification should be received. 

Something similar to like when MS Teams we use on browser then browser will send notification of someone's messages.

2. Also, what type of notifications you're looking to get? There are Windows notifications, browser notifications (which require first the user to allow notifications, to which the user can just say no), Teams notifications (user can be notified via a Message). I imagine you're looking for browser notifications, correct?

Yes, I am looking for the Browser notifications and a way how to send notification to MS teams also.

THanks @VV_10743662 

Understood, so you're looking for browser notifications. Be careful, because in this scenario it is mandatory that the user first accepts the Notification permission.

The change in browser visibility (to detect minimize/maximize) can be intercepted with the Visibility API (works cross-browsers).

If you want to add Teams notifications (in the sense the user gets a message in Teams) you need to use Microsoft's Graph API to send such messages.

Overall speaking, this requires you to develop a Widget at least, to detect the browser changes and more important, to trigger notifications browser side. I think, but I did not use it before, that Firebase Cloud Messaging could be used for this. They have a Javascript SDK that you can package in your widget.

Note that for sending the actual notification, you can use the same API from the widget, but I would propose to implement the sending in the ThingWorx server, so that you can trigger notifications also from the server in the future (not only from the widget).

Thanks @VladimirRosu 

I was going to use the Microsoft graph API, thanks for confirming it. and will check the Firebase cloud Messaging.

HI @VV_10743662 

For the benefit of others, if any of the replies above makes most sense for you, can you mark them by clicking on "Accept as Solution"?

Thank you!

Announcements

Top Tags