cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Thingworx tables details (created by model/property/data schema sql scripts)

atripathi
1-Newbie

Thingworx tables details (created by model/property/data schema sql scripts)

Hi,

When we setup PostgreSQL database for Thingworx, it create around 55 tables in public (or any provided) schema to store metadata/data/properties.

Is there any document/blog, having details (like what table contains etc.) of these 55 tables, used by Thingworx platrorm?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:atripathi)

Hi Atul what sort of information are you looking for in the Database directly? Usually the tables are named based on the data which they are storing, having said that its strongly recommended to not make any direct changes/updates to the schema or to the tables as this will lead to data corruption/data loss.

Could you share more information on your use case?

Hi Sushant, I was looking for data-definition kind of information for these Thingworx tables.

I found some definitions at http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_7.0_hc/index.jspx?id=ModelEntityTypes&action=show 

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Sorry Atul unfortunately i can't see the exact URL, since the one you add in your reply was appended and now it just points to homepage.

Anyhow, is this what you are referring to ?

If so yes metadata and actual data related to those modeled entities will end up in the tables in DB and those tables are named to kind of match the exact names of entities in Composer

Yes, I was referring to above details.

I think in absence of any data-definition document for Thingworx database tables, we may consider above definitions/descriptions to describe data stored by Thingworx model/data/propery tables.

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Atul you are on right direction this is how Entity & data is modeled in ThingWorx. I feel how it's represented in the DB at large is obscured and often not required. I'm not sure if you have already noticed there is full section on Modeling in ThingWorx Help Center, if you haven't already you can check the ThingWorx Model Definition and Composer

In fact by not modeling on specific RDBMS structure you are freeing yourself from the trouble to port your applications on different Persistence providers.

Cheers,

Sushant

Top Tags