cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Tomcat fails when Thingworx webapp installed

amandra
1-Newbie

Tomcat fails when Thingworx webapp installed

I'm following the guide for RHEL.  I installed Tomcat 8.5.16 since I couldn't find the noted version.  Tomcat works fine and can be accessed at localhost:8080.  As soon as I add the Thingworx webapp it can no longer be accessed.  Interestingly, if I remove Thingworx.war and the xploded folder while tomcat is still running it I will be able to access the Tomcat welcome page again.  No need to restart.

11 REPLIES 11
supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:amandra)

Hi Anthony, could you check the error in the tomcat log when you are attempting to deploy the ThingWorx war? Which version of ThingWorx are you attempting to install and with which persistence provider?

Foundation server 7.4 trial

localhost log:

25-Jul-2017 08:46:00.258 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log No Spring WebApplicationInitializer types detected on classspath

catalina:

25-Jul-2017 08:50:00.084 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Deploying web application archive [/usr/tomcat/webapps/Thingworx.war]

25-Jul-2017 08:50:03.944 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner.scanJars At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Could you please attach the full log here? You would be looking for something with [ERROR]  flag rather than [info]

I tried the 8.0 trial and I get a login screen, but it doesn't load.  So the initial problem is probably related to the combination of tomcat and thingworx.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Please attach your ApplicationLog.log found in ThingworxStorage/logs

log attached.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Which Thingworx are you trying to install, 7.4 or 8.0?  I see both versions in the log.

Tomcat needs to be downgraded to 8.0.44 if you are using 7.4 thingworx.war

I've moved to 8.0 since 7.4 wasn't working.  I get a log-in now, but no response when I try the  supposed login credentials for either 7.4 or 8.0.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Your 7.4 information got cached as seen in the log - please try a clean install, ensuring to remove the existing ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage while tomcat is stopped. Also removing the thingworx.war and  thingworx folder from the tomcat/webapps/ directory.

I now have a completely dead install again.  Tomcat is down as long as the web app exists.  I'll just have to start from scratch.  Even with the embedded database this is one of the most fragile systems I've dealt with.

I maybe missed it mentioned in the thread but  if you have installed 8.0 you will need a license.bin file. The 8 install mentions this. With out this the web app fails and tomcat stops. Plus a path to the extensions in the java config. Check the install. I will try to find it but for now take another look through the install. Hope this helps

Top Tags